Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will a BCM from another car work?

CJUNLIMITED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt 5lt
Yes it will as long as it has the same number. I just didi it successfully. Mate of mine gave me this
Instructions are as follows (I did this the other day, and I know it works)... this is for VT-VX-VU...

1. first with ignition off hold mode and up buttons on trip computer, while doinhg this switch car to accessory
(two clicks on key turn).cleave the car on accessorys for 2 hours ( i connected a battery charger so batt wouldnt flatten)
then car will start.

Make sure engine is at operating temperature (above 80 degrees) - you can check this by going into different trip computer mode as described above
(hold down Mode and up buttons together as you switch to accessorys) and scroll through the menus until you get to the digital temperature readout.
Or use the normal temperature gauge, either works :)

2. Turn off the ignition.

3. Remove the engine management fuse (it's a 10amp fuse, F31. It's probably labelled "BCM" on the diagram).

4. Turn the ignition on. Do NOT try to crank the engine over, just turn it on and wait.
After 20-30 seconds you should hear the dash make a chiming sound.

5. Replace the BCM fuse.

6. Start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes to let it relearn idle settings etc..

That's it! Thanks to v8owners.com for the info, I can tell you from personal experience that this works fine.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
**removed*

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Well, you can reuse a key.
A programmed key won't work as i'm sure anyone that's played with a tech2 knows.
If you can desolder/resolder smd ic's then you can do it, new eeprom required, can't erase factory prom.

/hijack......

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i found my saved notes from a member re programming key transponders, obviously using a different tool than a tech2
"Just so you know you can re-program the key fobs if they have already been coded to another car previously i have many people come into the shop that have bought a fob from the wreckers as long as you write the fob back to default first 004462 then your fine to use it again"

vxlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina/ 3.8L ecojet S2
I think my bcm just took a dump.
Just got a BCM from the wreckers off a similar car as mine. Will it work on my car? Can I link it to the ECU using a tech2 or any other method?
I done this on my vt, it worked without re programming

Pandacrash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore 98 calais
Heres an idea if the ecu and bcm are from same car and have same part n.os just buy a 3 Button Car Remote Key & Chip for Holden Commodore VS VR VU VX VT VX VY VZ WH and

Click to view larger image and other views
Move over photo to zoom
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
MAP Key Remote DIY Programming Tool for Holden Commodore VS VZ KF200

Pandacrash

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore 98 calais
I just programmed diy key on my vt worked a treat

sommer king

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6
i found my saved notes from a member re programming key transponders, obviously using a different tool than a tech2
"Just so you know you can re-program the key fobs if they have already been coded to another car previously i have many people come into the shop that have bought a fob from the wreckers as long as you write the fob back to default first 004462 then your fine to use it again"
Thankyou how do you write the key fob back?