Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will you ever buy another Holden?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Maybe if they rebadge a Tesla ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well owning 3 VF's tells me Holden's build quality leaves a lot to be desired, and by all accounts there imported cars are not much better.
Depends what you put under the heading "build quality". I reckon a VF Commodore will be a lower-risk/lower-cost thing to keep on the road than a BMW these days, even though the interior won't be as well put together. And don't get me started on VW twincharged engines or gearboxes; even though a 1.4 twincharged Golf is a really nice place to be on the day of the month it's working (ie. that day you got it back after the warranty repair).

Daewoos these days, including the ones they were building here until recently, don't seem to be particularly unreliable either. They're just generally unpleasant, like the spec of Corolla that Toyota has been spruiking in Oz since ~1993 (except cheaper-feeling).

Maybe if they rebadge a Tesla ?
Looking at the number of Tesla Model S's around, their price-tag, the likelihood of support disappearing c/f Holden, and then looking at how many Volts you see on the road ... it tells you that GM would've been smart to make the Volt look sexy.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
No Never again. I purchased the First Holden Back in 1967 being a HD X2 Holden. I have had a Dozen Cars all being Holden. I was Loyal to Holden and when the VF is Gone that's it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Let's just wind back to 1978...
If we had the internet, forums, and social media back then, we'd be reading the exact same thing!
This is exactly what people said back when this 'piece of crap' European designed car was released.
Funnily enough, here we all are today... driving a Commodore! ;)

The difference then was the VB retained trusted Australian-built drive trains, including rear wheel drive and V8s, and was significantly restyled and fettled for Australian tastes. None of the above will feature on replacement 'Commodores'.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just as an aside, who here would consider a Hyundai Genesis if the company was smart enough to offer the V8 rear-wheel-drive versions the rest of the world got?

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Just as an aside, who here would consider a Hyundai Genesis if the company was smart enough to offer the V8 rear-wheel-drive versions the rest of the world got?

I would certainly look at it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
But I reckon I'll keep the Monaro, just makes me smile.
Me too. But if I have to replace it with a newie, not a Genesis, but maybe its cousin, the V6 RWD Kia that is due to be released about the time the real Commodore goes. ( V8s are dinosaurs ...... so they keep telling us. ) A friend has a i45 sedan, and the interior looks a lot older than the car.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I think that the major sticking point is the imported, large FWD, 4 cyl replacement “Commodore”. It will be no different to any other import, whether Japanese, Korean, Ford from wherever, French, Italian, blah blah..........
Come 2018, Holden will have lost its ‘Australian’ accent, and that is the big disappointment..
The original Commodore was not a replacement for the Kingswood, but at least it was screwed together by Aussies, and it took until the VN before I bought one.
I have had 3 “Euro” Holdens, a Frontera which was trouble from the start, and 2 (Corsa) Barinas, and all three were plagued with electrical problems that Holden had no idea about.

That would be my concern as well, Electrics in Astras and Vectra seemed to be problem - I get the impression a Vectra can be a bit of a money pit. I would probably be the main area I'd be concerned about from reliability viewpoint.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That would be my concern as well, Electrics in Astras and Vectra seemed to be problem - I get the impression a Vectra can be a bit of a money pit. I would probably be the main area I'd be concerned about from reliability viewpoint.
The first shape Vectra was no better when made here, but the 2nd one was no problem at all.
Same with the first imported Astra c/f the 2nd one; the 2nd shape was fine.
Don't think there are supposed to be any problems with the current one, not that've been discovered yet at least.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
The first shape Vectra was no better when made here, but the 2nd one was no problem at all.
Same with the first imported Astra c/f the 2nd one; the 2nd shape was fine.
Don't think there are supposed to be any problems with the current one, not that've been discovered yet at least.

The French-built TS generation Astra (the 2nd one you mentioned, 99-2004) was a sensational car -over-engineerd in every area and solid as a rock. Only thing that stopped them was not replacing the timing belt at 60,000kms. Other than that, I think you'll find most are still on the road today.