Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will you ever buy another Holden?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've put a lot of thought into this matter and still can't decide what I'll do in the future. I love my VX and will keep driving that thing until I can no longer possibly restore broken bits, However I'm not sure what will replace my VE for the daily drive. Unfortunately I've never been in the situation to afford/justify a brand new car so it does sadden me I'll never own a brand new SS. Maybe in a few years I'll replace the VE with a VFII SS or Gen-F 2 LSA wagon.

Other things I've thought about are things like the subaru outback, but it annoys be that no one else makes a large, affordable, powerful wagon. If they strapped a turbo to the 3.6L V6 in the outback I'd be a little more interested.

I'll reserve my judgement on the furture commodore model though. Nameplate aside, it might be a decent car (although I still disagree with calling in a commodore). But again, I'd want a turbo strapped to the 3.6L V6 model before I was fully interested.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
I'm a RWD man, always will be. I'm good at getting longevity out of my Commodores (15 years and more) and love owning/driving my current VY. It's cheap to service and extremely reliable. If I was in the position, I would buy a new 2017 VF and that would see me though to handing in my licence. I can't see any FWD car that I would own but that's just me.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
The difference then was the VB retained trusted Australian-built drive trains, including rear wheel drive and V8s, and was significantly restyled and fettled for Australian tastes. None of the above will feature on replacement 'Commodores'.
That's the difference when the VB commodore came out Holden didn't rebadge it a Kingswood, still was rwd, still with a V8.
A big mistake IMHO is keeping the Commodore name running, on a major vehicle platform change to fwd, and engine change.
Holden are just taking an each way bet, that current commodore owners will still by it because, it has a commodore badge on it.

smurfmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf redline
Yep. My vf redline is a cracker. The dealership has been good to me so i just ordered a new colorado, trading in my hilux. Seems good value. I don't think I will ever get rid of the redline. The missus wouldn't let me anyway unless holden imports the camaro she says. Bottom line yeah I'm happy to buy holden again unless they do something wrong by me.

MALUR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice & VE2 Omega
I can't see myself buying another one unless I update my MY16 Redline for an MY17 or a HSV.
Not a leader in any segment really so without a big rear drive V8 there is nothing in the range that excites me. My missus had a Kia, and after bagging Korean cars for years I've found myself immensely impressed with build equality and features for money. So I reckon VF for as long as possible and Korean stuff for the missus.

photohounds

Reaction score
Website
photohounds.smugmug.com
Members Ride
VT Acclaim, S suspension, sound system. good boots
After recently picking up my VF Series 2 SSV, I've given quite a bit of thought to the fact that this might be my last Holden I'll ever buy. I'm coming up to my sixtieth and have always owned and loved Holdens and I honestly can't see myself in an imported car dressed up as a Holden/Commodore.

I wonder if anyone else feels this way?
I worked for GM in the seventies. It sure is the end of an era
Apparently the new one will be an AWD hatchback.
If they plant a decent donk in it, I reckon it'll sell.

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
That's the difference when the VB commodore came out Holden didn't rebadge it a Kingswood, still was rwd, still with a V8.
A big mistake IMHO is keeping the Commodore name running, on a major vehicle platform change to fwd, and engine change.
Holden are just taking an each way bet, that current commodore owners will still by it because, it has a commodore badge on it.

Might have been a bit confusing if they sold a HZ Kingswood and VB Kingswood at the same time, the two cars overlapped for about 2 years. :)
Maybe at the time Holden were taking a each way bet, if the Commodore flopped they could have continued with the Kingswood, after all they kept the WB going till 1984.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I think that the major sticking point is the imported, large FWD, 4 cyl replacement “Commodore”. It will be no different to any other import, whether Japanese, Korean, Ford from wherever, French, Italian, blah blah..........
Come 2018, Holden will have lost its ‘Australian’ accent, and that is the big disappointment..
The original Commodore was not a replacement for the Kingswood, but at least it was screwed together by Aussies, and it took until the VN before I bought one.
I have had 3 “Euro” Holdens, a Frontera which was trouble from the start, and 2 (Corsa) Barinas, and all three were plagued with electrical problems that Holden had no idea about.

damn, you need to stop giving GM money.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Might have been a bit confusing if they sold a HZ Kingswood and VB Kingswood at the same time, the two cars overlapped for about 2 years. :)
Do you mean the VB and HZ overlapped for 2 years?
I didn't know that; do you know if they were actually building 'em in parallel, or did they build too many HZ's and it took a couple of years to shift them (same with the Australian-market R32 Skyline GT-R ... $110k for a Datto was a bit much for most to cope with, performance & build-quality regardless, the exact same cars were officially on the price-list for 2-3 years and there was even a car that got to something like 5 years old before Nissan Oz just said "buggrit" and made it officially not-for-sale-anymore).

Apparently the new one will be an AWD hatchback.
If they plant a decent donk in it, I reckon it'll sell.
VAG are doing decent things with large cars and 2L turbo engines.
Benz are getting 280kW outta their 2L turbo ... I still remember when paying HSV an extra $40k over a Commodore got you 185kW from 5L. :)
OPC models of late have been pretty-much up with the times on release, the ~260kW for the 2.8TT V6 in the current Insignia was reasonable in 2008, and given that the OPC cars are apparently going to be turbo rather than the n/a V6, I suspect they won't be dropping much in power for the 2.0 compared to the current 2.8.

Last edited:

AnotherSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Do you mean the VB and HZ overlapped for 2 years?
I didn't know that; do you know if they were actually building 'em in parallel, or did they build too many HZ's and it took a couple of years to shift them (same with the Australian-market R32 Skyline GT-R ... $110k for a Datto was a bit much for most to cope with, performance & build-quality regardless, the exact same cars were officially on the price-list for 2-3 years and there was even a car that got to something like 5 years old before Nissan Oz just said "buggrit" and made it officially not-for-sale-anymore).

Last HZ's were built in early 1980, replaced by WB at the about the same time as the VC Commodore was released. (No base sedan or wagon of course) GMH still had several factories and multiple production lines in each, so it was not too hard for them, their capacity was more than 10 x the current volume.
Someone who know more than me will be able to confirm which factories built which cars. I know the Brisbane factory at Acacia ridge built Commodores up until VH when it shut down. The car line that ceased production when the Commodore was released was the Torana / Sunbird line.
P.S. They were also building Geminis at the same time, they dropped that for the Camira.