Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
The 20th best selling car last month was the Honda HRV. Barely even heard of it until I looked it up. Sold 1760 of them.
Holden sold 1159 commodores 213 of which were VF so 946 of these new sh**boxes

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
In the US, the ZB version is the Buick Regal. You hardly see any of them on the road. The manufacturers bread and butter are trucks.

Most people wonder why so many trucks in the US? Is simple, outdated regulations. The emissions, safety and many others were geared to cars. Trucks got a free pass because they are working vehicles, not many people used them for commuting. For example, the G8 GXP with the 6.2L engine, carried a $2,600 gas guzzler tax (21 MPGs) a truck that give 19 MPGs or even less does not have such tax. A good example was Dodge Lil' Red Express. They basicaly took a Dodge truck and stuffed a police interceptor engine and got away with all the Regulation BS. So if you want some with some balls, is normal to gravitate to Trucks.

Another factor is the economics. The dealer gives you an illusion of a sweet deal by knocking down several grands on a truck and they still making a killing on it. Cars, not so much because they are selling almost at cost. To build a Truck or a Car cost about the same, the savings is on the material but both goes through the same assembly process with all the logistic associated cost and worker weagers. At the dealer, people see Big Vs Small. They are willing to pay more for the bigger vehicle because they think they are getting more, in reality they are paying double for some they do not need.

The other ones, like the Chevy Sonic, Aveo, etc... they are money loosing vehicles, dealers have to sell them sometimes at a loss. Those are made overseas with cheap labor cost.

I have a Chevy Colorado and to be honest, bought it because I got it brand new for $26,800. The deal breaker was the 7000 Lbs towing capacity and about 6 inches longer than my 03 Impala. The very basic Impala with a 4 Banger was about $24,000. So it was... RWD vs FWD, same V6 engine (as the Impala SS), towing capacity vs none, about 3 grands more.

Another thing, with the shitty roads in the US, you will need a truck.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The Izusu built Holden Colorado (same as Chev Colorado) is probably Holden's biggest selling vehicle here in Australia now. What helps is that it also is imported as an Izusu D-Max, and there's plenty of those on the road over here.

Dual Cab utes are all the rage in Australia with the Toyota Hilux (Tecoma in the US) being the top selling vehicle over here now.

Who would've thought back in the 1980's that a "commercial vehicle" as it's classified here would be on top of the sales list ??

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Honestly, GM got it right with the Colorado, you have to hand it to them. The Tacoma that is build in the US is a shite-box. Is outdated and has not even close to the towing capacity, also, has a crappy ride, crap interiors and carry a higher price and questionable quality. Toyota quality is overrated, all boils down to how well you take care of the vehicle. Our Colorado has the V6 LFX high feature that is found on many GM high performance cars. Is not an oil burner like someone posted before, 45,000+ miles and going strong. Granted, not a proper truck engine, the power comes up on the high side about 3 grands one the Tach. Anyway, took the truck to Colorado, at 13,000 Ft and I was pulling our 3860 Lbs caravan at 45 MPH and able to hit 55 MPH any time easy. Transmission temps on the 160 F all at 9 MPG up the hill. Not bad for a V6 and a small size truck, it will put any Tacoma/Hilux to shame. The G80 Eaton Locker did superb on Ice/Snow, no need for 4WD or Snow Chains. The Turbo Diesel 2.6 Duramax (Mini-Max) has 7,600 Lbs on towing with $4,500 premium price. I can say, is a good value for what it is with 4 doors.

Anyway, back on the ZB thread. The the ZB platform is a crap box if you expect to get the performance of the VE or VF. I have to say, Holden "Knock it out of the Ballpark" with the VE and VF.

In my opinion, the best looking from all the Commodores is the VE, has all the right proportions, best design flow. The VF, to me is a mechanical revised version with some a-la-chevy-bland looks, but still a good design.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Honestly, GM got it right with the Colorado, you have to hand it to them. The Tacoma that is build in the US is a shite-box. Is outdated and has not even close to the towing capacity, also, has a crappy ride, crap interiors and carry a higher price and questionable quality. Toyota quality is overrated, all boils down to how well you take care of the vehicle. Our Colorado has the V6 LFX high feature that is found on many GM high performance cars. Is not an oil burner like someone posted before, 45,000+ miles and going strong. Granted, not a proper truck engine, the power comes up on the high side about 3 grands one the Tach. Anyway, took the truck to Colorado, at 13,000 Ft and I was pulling our 3860 Lbs caravan at 45 MPH and able to hit 55 MPH any time easy. Transmission temps on the 160 F all at 9 MPG up the hill. Not bad for a V6 and a small size truck, it will put any Tacoma/Hilux to shame. The G80 Eaton Locker did superb on Ice/Snow, no need for 4WD or Snow Chains. The Turbo Diesel 2.6 Duramax (Mini-Max) has 7,600 Lbs on towing with $4,500 premium price. I can say, is a good value for what it is with 4 doors.

Anyway, back on the ZB thread. The the ZB platform is a crap box if you expect to get the performance of the VE or VF. I have to say, Holden "Knock it out of the Ballpark" with the VE and VF.

In my opinion, the best looking from all the Commodores is the VE, has all the right proportions, best design flow. The VF, to me is a mechanical revised version with some a-la-chevy-bland looks, but still a good design.
...and then there was our ute & wagon....what an utter shame to seem them go (so me & the Mrs bought one of each).

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
... Anyway, back on the ZB thread. The the ZB platform is a crap box if you expect to get the performance of the V8 VE or VF.

Fixed that up for you. I know Im in the minority on this forum as I drive a V6 but the ZB is a worthy replacement for me. Its german made and has more power and features than my V6. The thing is that Im in the majority outside this forum and unfortunately for you guys thats all Holden care about now.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Don't think the sales figures agree.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I understand if you like it. But German Cars are good handling cars, they sure fit on the narrow roads in Europe and does their job well. However, Aus and US are different, long stretches demands comfy cars with plenty low end torque, cornering is second. Top Gear bashes American cars all the time, cannot handle or corner, well, we go pretty much in a straigh line instead of a paved 1,000 year old dirt trail. Today's mentality is one size fits all. Because it was designed/build in Germany or Japan, does not mean that will work and is top notch. I have seen some shitty ass Opels, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc in my lifetime.

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I understand if you like it. But German Cars are good handling cars, they sure fit on the narrow roads in Europe and does their job well. However, Aus and US are different, long stretches demands comfy cars with plenty low end torque, cornering is second. Top Gear bashes American cars all the time, cannot handle or corner, well, we go pretty much in a straigh line instead of a paved 1,000 year old dirt trail. Today's mentality is one size fits all. Because it was designed/build in Germany or Japan, does not mean that will work and is top notch. I have seen some shitty ass Opels, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, etc in my lifetime.

Totally agree on quality - no one wants a rattling, thin feeling sh*tbox but I haven't heard reports that the ZB is like this (correct me if Im wrong). However not sure about the rest of your point - most of Australia is urban and most roads are in relatively good nick for 90% of the population. Australia is also a nanny state that is dead set on making as many roads in the country as possible a 50 or 60kmh speed limit - how can it be argued that a ZB wont 'perform' on these roads as well as a VE or VF?

Im just saying that if you are an enthusiast that likes taking your V8 out on the highway and going for a gun - the ZB is going to be crap for you. If you are in the other 90% of people who want to get to and from work in comfort, the ZB is fine, in fact probably a better car than the VE or VF. Id say its just a matter of getting the price and warranty right and the ZB's will sell fine.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
no one wants a rattling, thin feeling sh*tbox but I haven't heard reports that the ZB is like this?

1. People have to buy one before it can be reported on.
2. If they are reported to be such when the oldest one would be ~3 months old then anyone who has purchased one will be in for a world of pain.