Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worst holden sales in 70 years

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
A cursory check online has Holden the 4th highest-selling manufacturer in January 2018 and 8th highest-selling manufacturer last month, out of 60 or so other brands, selling between 4700-5700 cars per month. I'm not really sure if that's a lower number than any other month since 1948 but if it is, it really says more about the current automotive market in Australia than anything else.

Even without a VF Commodore, Holden are moving more cars than Kia, Volkswagen, Subaru, MB, Audi and BMW to name a few.

The difference between Holden in 8th (4689 sales) and Kia in 10th spot (4664 sales) was 25 cars.

Does anyone know what came in 11th and with how many sales?

Anyway, lets give it a few months until ZB and Equinox has had the chance to be on sale to get a clearer picture.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

Worst market percentage figures (4.9%) are different to "worst sales in 70 years" which is the the title of this thread and what I also alluded to in my second post.

But yeah I agree with you it will be interesting to see what happens when ZB and Equinox etc hit the market properly... it could all get much worse.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Worst market percentage figures (4.9%) are different to "worst sales in 70 years" which is the the title of this thread and what I also alluded to in my second post.

But yeah I agree with you it will be interesting to see what happens when ZB and Equinox etc hit the market properly... it could all get much worse.

worst sales for 70 years in feb 2018 and its ranking of 8 out of the top 10 is also holdens lowest in 70 years and the 4.9 market share sets a new low record for holden

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY13 VF SSV sedan - Phantom
Up until a while ago, Holden had car enthusiasts who put up some pretty cool mass produced products, even though I'm sure the bean counters kept 'EM under scrutiny... sadly now Holden are just part of the global sausage factory. Some of us love driving not appropriate but affordable cars, warts n all. Some of us (me) are happy for manufacturers to stick their boring, autonomous drivng / braking vehicles right where mum won't kiss em... Holden, a name only for a few more years... end of rant, for now :-/ (thank heavens I can get out on my vfr1200 :) )

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Up until a while ago, Holden had car enthusiasts who put up some pretty cool mass produced products, even though I'm sure the bean counters kept 'EM under scrutiny... sadly now Holden are just part of the global sausage factory. Some of us love driving not appropriate but affordable cars, warts n all. Some of us (me) are happy for manufacturers to stick their boring, autonomous drivng / braking vehicles right where mum won't kiss em... Holden, a name only for a few more years... end of rant, for now :-/ (thank heavens I can get out on my vfr1200 :) )

agree with the above, there is less risk to manufacture a boring car that looks similar to other top selling models from other manufactures and hope they sell them
what holden needed to do was retool with a out there design that set it out and above from all others.
i remember when the r and s series valiants came out , they had the wow factor and could not meet sales demand
instead holden wants and wanted to follow market leaders of other brands with similar designs instead of taking risk and producing world class cutting edge designed cars.
so holden just keep on producing a boring design so so car and are happy to follow and not be a leader any more as they once were in australia

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
worst sales for 70 years in feb 2018 and its ranking of 8 out of the top 10 is also holdens lowest in 70 years and the 4.9 market share sets a new low record for holden

You're 100% sure 4700 cars is Holden's worst monthly sales in 70 years? Just asking the question cos I don't know, haven't seen the evidence, and that News.com.au opening paragraph doesn't count because it's ran by children and almost certainly confusing market share with actual car sales. I'm fine being proven wrong though.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
You're 100% sure 4700 cars is Holden's worst monthly sales in 70 years? Just asking the question cos I don't know, haven't seen the evidence, and that News.com.au opening paragraph doesn't count because it's ran by children and almost certainly confusing market share with actual car sales. I'm fine being proven wrong though.

new car sales figures are up , not for holden , only selling one car in every 20 new cars sold, i don't think that was the case in 1948.
just goggle worst sales for holden in 70 years , plenty of reading for you, quite sad really:mad:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride

I agree the heading is misleading. 70 years ago would be the at release of the 48-215 in 1948 and I think they sold 112 in the 2 months before 1949!

From what I can find it would take until 1954 for Holden to be selling on average 4500 cars per month (54,000 for the year) and in 1955 it jumped to on average 5350 per month (63,800 total). But back then Holden would have also counted for 90% or more of the market.

In a growing market, February is still a sh*t result but as I said, lets wait a few months for everything to settle.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Holden's highest market share was just over 50℅ with the FC. They never got near 90℅.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden's highest market share was just over 50℅ with the FC. They never got near 90℅.

cheers. I was probably being a bit overly optimistic!