Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth buying a VF Calais from VF SV6

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Hi,

I currently own a S1 VF SV6, is there much of a difference between that and a VF calais, I know there were similar, but the Calais has extra features like heated seats , HID push button start and others.

I'm thinking of selling my SV6 and buying a Calais S2, then putting an upgraded Halo 9 deck in there.

The only thing is I've fixed the power steering and torque converter since I bought the car in 2020, so I know my car is mechanically all good. If I buy another second hand car I maybe buying a whole new set of issues.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I currently own a S1 VF SV6, is there much of a difference between that and a VF calais,
How about a VF2 SV6 V?

20230909_205842.jpg

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
What did the V get over the standard SV6? o_O

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
IMO it's not worth it.

The market has cratered for V6 VF's (Despite some exhaust breather hopefuls). You'll be lucky to get $18K.

Then remember, there is the base Calais, which is just an SV6, but with more chrome, leather, sunroof and softer suspension. Thats it.

The Calais V got the goodies, but then again, how much is a sunroof and leather to you? Youre much better off finding a calais interior and putting that in. Ive in the middle of putting in a leather Calais V/Redline interior to my SV6. But that's only due to a year of some thrifty market place deals that I got the entire set for basically free.

The GPS head unit is easy to swap into your SV6. Then the MY17 chromatic dimming rear mirror, that's retrofittable also.

All that's left is Seat Heaters and memory seats. Again they're cool, but IMO unless you got a screaming deal on selling your car, and on the new Calais V, youre likely not going to notice much difference.

Now if its got 8 cylinders in the front, that's a different story! You've got a bonus there of the Calais depreciate seemingly a lot more than the SS's

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What did the V get over the standard SV6? o_O
Interior, the SV6 V got the SSV steering wheel, SSV instrument cluster, SSV dash and console trim, leather console armrest, map reading interior light and footwell lights.

It got FE2.5 suspension, 25mm lower with an HSV rear sway bar and V8 brakes.

Calais V 19" wheels and chrome window mouldings.

Pretty much what the standard SV6 should've got!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Just generally, and not in response to the OP, I think the high-level luxury versions are a great basis for an older/used car. By a certain age, a car will need new shockers and so it easy enough to do the springs while replacing shockers. And, engine upgrades and modifications are just as applicable to a Calais as to a base SS. So, all the ‘go fast’ and ‘handle well’ bits are easily replaced or upgraded. But interiors are not so easy to upgrade.

So, if I was looking for a car to keep longterm, a Calais V would be the way to go. Preferably V8 if there was any aspirations of performance.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi,

I currently own a S1 VF SV6, is there much of a difference between that and a VF calais, I know there were similar, but the Calais has extra features like heated seats , HID push button start and others.

I'm thinking of selling my SV6 and buying a Calais S2, then putting an upgraded Halo 9 deck in there.

The only thing is I've fixed the power steering and torque converter since I bought the car in 2020, so I know my car is mechanically all good. If I buy another second hand car I maybe buying a whole new set of issues.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Also be aware you will lose heated seats with the Halo9 and the aerpro adaptor

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If I had a good reliable VF, I don't think I'd sell it to buy another unless I was effectively expecting to spend a fair whack more on the replacement ... this would mean the replacement would need to be in massively better condition, have much lower usage (say selling a car with 400k on it to get one with 80k on it yet still with immaculate maintenance records & in good condition overall), or was an embiggenment in engine performance (eg. I think I'd consider a 3.0 to 3.6 jump depending in other attributes ... and if I was after a more performancey car I'd certainly consider going from a 3.6 to 6.0 or 6.2).