Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth buying a VF Calais from VF SV6

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Going from known mechanicals, where you’ve fixed some known shortcomings in a lighter car, to unknown mechanicals, where you may have similar faults just waiting to pooch screw your bank balance in a porkier sibling, just doesn’t sound like a big enough step up considering the marginal real benefit in specs. Devil you know sort of thing :p

The real question is why you want to change… because the answer may not be based on hard facts, rather it may just be an emotive desire for something different… Its almost cheating on your SV6 while dreaming of a Calais… Thats OK for cars, just don’t use the same logic on the girl friend/wife :oops::p

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
We've got a 2017 V6 Calais V Sportswagon. I really couldn't give a toss about the heated seats and HUD and all the shiny bits etc. So long as the fecker goes from A to B in relative comfort without any trouble, that's all I care about.

Reactions: Lex

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Just generally, and not in response to the OP, I think the high-level luxury versions are a great basis for an older/used car. By a certain age, a car will need new shockers and so it easy enough to do the springs while replacing shockers. And, engine upgrades and modifications are just as applicable to a Calais as to a base SS. So, all the ‘go fast’ and ‘handle well’ bits are easily replaced or upgraded. But interiors are not so easy to upgrade.

So, if I was looking for a car to keep longterm, a Calais V would be the way to go. Preferably V8 if there was any aspirations of performance.
A V8 Calais V would be great to "Redline", SS body kit, Brembo's etc. The interior is similar to the Redline with additional features and finished, would be a nicer and better featured car than a Redline overall.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Interior, the SV6 V got the SSV steering wheel, SSV instrument cluster, SSV dash and console trim, leather console armrest, map reading interior light and footwell lights.

It got FE2.5 suspension, 25mm lower with an HSV rear sway bar and V8 brakes.

Calais V 19" wheels and chrome window mouldings.

Pretty much what the standard SV6 should've got!
And here I was thinking it was a RevNev special with a V badge added.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
And here I was thinking it was a RevNev special with a V badge added.
The funny thing is with creative model manipulations, not many people have the product knowledge to disbelieve it other than genuine brand enthusiasts. It's amazing how many people think Brembo brakes and wheels, is only difference between an SS and Redline!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
A V8 Calais V would be great to "Redline", SS body kit, Brembo's etc. The interior is similar to the Redline with additional features and finished, would be a nicer and better featured car than a Redline overall.
already done (in part) by Holden and called a Director :p:p:p

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
We've got a 2017 V6 Calais V Sportswagon. I really couldn't give a toss about the heated seats and HUD and all the shiny bits etc. So long as the fecker goes from A to B in relative comfort without any trouble, that's all I care about.
Agree with the heated seats, but the HUD, now that I've been using it for a few years, is something that I want in every car I drive. Keeping your eyes on the road and being able to see all the info you need at the same time is a great feature and should be standard in every car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Director pretty much has the Chev SS features the Commodore didn't get.
The Director was my preference over the SSV Motorsport edition but none were available so I had to settle for the MSE :p

But the Director was still shortchanged as compared to the Chevy SS as it didn’t get seat coolers, the much better HID headlights and if memory serves, no electrochromatic exterior rear vision mirror…

And the last Chevy SS’ were much cheaper :oops:

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
The Director pretty much has the Chev SS features the Commodore didn't get.

Minus, weirdly, the seat coolers!

Seems strange in the hottest country on earth to get seat heaters, but not coolers