Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's a good price for a Halo9 installation SV6

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Nah his point is valid.

This isn't necessarily about reality, it's about wiggle-room should an insurer decide they don't want to pay your claim.
They say "you removed cross-traffic alert and did not tell us, we were therefore unable to calculate the added risk and hence you did not let us charge you what we should have been charging you. So we're not paying, too bad so sad".
I reckon they'd be pushing sloppy poo up a steep & slippery hill with a very sharp stick if your claim didn't in any way relate to damage to the rear of the car while reversing, but if it's possible to avoid needing to involve the ombudsman & have a drawn-out argument then it's kinda worth at least considering how.
Your insurance company may have a different view as they may consider that their risk goes up within shopping centre car parks (for example) if you modified your vehicle by removing rear cross traffic alert…

So if someone hits you while you’re reversing out of a spot, the insurance company may deny your claim as that removed feature may have contributed to mitigating such a claim had you not removed it… Then you’d only have the other driver‘s damaged vehicle to pay for or have the other driver’s insurance company chasing you.

And they’d know that you have an expensive Halo9 as most people will report the ”upgrade” as they‘d want to be covered for the extra feature cost that fitting it may have added to your vehicle…

Whether the insurance company tried to deny a claim in other cases, who knows but I’d not want to place my economic welfare in the hands of what many consider a pack of bastards that don’t always pay out or delay payouts for considerable time (thinking of floods here but goes to their lack of morals) :oops:
Im sure if there was any chance of an issue there would be disclaimers for all head units saying "For Off Road Use Only" :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Im sure if there was any chance of an issue there would be disclaimers for all head units saying "For Off Road Use Only" :p
That “off-road use only” disclaimer is primarily to cover the sellers arse around having to provide refunds to people buying their product for their road car and making it unroadworthy in gne process.… People making their cars unroadworthy is very different (though related) thing to an insurance company’s risk assessment process around unmodified vehicles…

You’d be better off reading your insurance policy around modifications than the side of the box on your new HID adapter globes.

Thing is, I don’t think insurance companies have woken up to such safety feature removal issues as yet but that’s just a guess on my part.

What’s interesting is that I've heard that in NZed, everything that was fitted to the car at time of build must work, so their view is that a faulty radio is a roadworthy failure :oops: Those from NZed can confirm or debunk my understanding but the point is that what seems logical (not mandatory feature removed) may be irrelevant when bureaucracies are involved.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That “off-road use only” disclaimer is primarily
My political correctness terminology in relation to illegal modification discussion like piping cats, wheel spacers etc!