Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth buying a VF Calais from VF SV6

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Agree with the heated seats, but the HUD, now that I've been using it for a few years, is something that I want in every car I drive. Keeping your eyes on the road and being able to see all the info you need at the same time is a great feature and should be standard in every car.
Yeah, I suppose.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah, I suppose.
I’m with Jeda. After having had the VF for only 6 months, it really annoyed me getting into something that didn’t have it, and having to look away from where I needed to be looking just to keep the pollies & their vote-buying speed-cameras happy.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
The Director was my preference over the SSV Motorsport edition but none were available so I had to settle for the MSE :p

But the Director was still shortchanged as compared to the Chevy SS as it didn’t get seat coolers, the much better HID headlights and if memory serves, no electrochromatic exterior rear vision mirror…

And the last Chevy SS’ were much cheaper :oops:

Ooo and also, it got a louder start up "burble" and some other aspect in the tune due to their looser drive by noise rules.

They also got that funny two Cat exhaust due to some states requiring two

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The Director was my preference over the SSV Motorsport edition but none were available so I had to settle for the MSE :p

But the Director was still shortchanged as compared to the Chevy SS as it didn’t get seat coolers, the much better HID headlights and if memory serves, no electrochromatic exterior rear vision mirror…

And the last Chevy SS’ were much cheaper :oops:
I wanted the Motorsport but I love the Director. I'm driving it today :)

The Director does have the Electrochromic mirror. It also has chrome door lock stubs and padded sun visors with fabric trim on the A pillars. not sure if the motorport got that too. One thing that looks off is the heater contraoller is Grey while the rest of the trim is black. My SS is all grand piano black and I think it was overlooked on the Director as it was white interior lighting instead of the red in the SS.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just generally, and not in response to the OP, I think the high-level luxury versions are a great basis for an older/used car. By a certain age, a car will need new shockers and so it easy enough to do the springs while replacing shockers. And, engine upgrades and modifications are just as applicable to a Calais as to a base SS. So, all the ‘go fast’ and ‘handle well’ bits are easily replaced or upgraded. But interiors are not so easy to upgrade.

So, if I was looking for a car to keep longterm, a Calais V would be the way to go. Preferably V8 if there was any aspirations of performance.
Absolutely.

As a former owner of a Calais V, it’s nice. Makes the car a nicer place to be. Neighbour had the same but just a Calais and it was some of the small things that made ours just that bit nicer.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
One thing that looks off is the heater contraoller is Grey while the rest of the trim is black. My SS is all grand piano black and I think it was overlooked on the Director
I think the window switch panels on the doors are grey too instead of gloss black. I'd retrofit the black components that look much better!

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
having to look away from where I needed to be looking just to keep the pollies & their vote-buying whilst revenue raising and pretending to improve road safety speed-cameras happy.
FTFY.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think the window switch panels on the doors are grey too instead of gloss black. I'd retrofit the black components that look much better!
Yes that is right, they kept the Calais V colours for the Director although you cannot see the finger marks on them as bad as the shinny black panels.

As soon as I got in the Director last night I though oh danm these cars do have black door switches....

The two things the Calais got over the Director are the chrome exterior door handles and adjustable rear seat headrests.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well you only elaborated. :)
The vote-buying is pretending to improve road safety, ie. "make it look like we're doing something".
The revenue-raising claim is a bit irrelevant, in terms of state budgets it's not very much & by the time they pay for the cameras & systems & vans & nasty little drivers etc etc they don't make that much. I mean it makes a bit, but not much, and saying something like that about it only makes the brainwashed think your main complaint about that whole nasty situation is that it costs you some money. When your real complaint is how they just ignore a problem & get a bunch of people killed & spend public money on selling the non-solution which they know has no positive effect just to try & scab a few votes.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The vote-buying is pretending to improve road safety, ie. "make it look like we're doing something".
When we have to wear helmets and neck restraints, I'll believe they're genuinely trying to improve road safety!