Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB 2 litre...timing belt or chain?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep your issues have been well documented but those engines are quite a few generations back now while the Alloytec was a relatively new design that some smart arse in Holdens put in a suggestion into the suggestion box to save a few bucks per engine and look how much that wasted end users hard earned coin.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Someone above mentioned the "VR Buick". Hmmm...the VN to VT used the 3.8litre OHV V6. No timing belt or timing chain. They did have a serpentine drive belt for the power steering and AC pump but that's about it.
The general rule of thumb is that timing chains should last the life of the engine. Rubber timing belts have to be changed between 60 to 120,000 kay, depending up the manufacturer's recommendation. It's not an easy job and you often have to change the belt, water pump and, often, the tensioners. I owned a TJ Magna and that ate timing belts every 100,000 kay. It was an expensive job to change and if you had a d'head mechanic who didn't tension the belt properly you were in for a pile of trouble.

As to the VE timing chain issue...well, I can't talk about the chain quality. I do know someone who replaced the GM chain with a "better quality" aftermarket chain and they are now very happy. I own a VF and, apparently, the "chain stretch" issue was solved by then. I have a great mechanic, ex GM, and he has told me that the secret to keeping the chain healthy in a VE or VF is to make sure you are scrupulous about your oil changes and that you always use the recommended oil viscosity and a top brand synthetic oil.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep your issues have been well documented but those engines are quite a few generations back now while the Alloytec was a relatively new design that some smart arse in Holdens put in a suggestion into the suggestion box to save a few bucks per engine and look how much that wasted end users hard earned coin.

Yep and Holden should have learnt from the past. But like most manufacturers who bosses come from the US they are always looking to cheapen the build. They look at the immediate and don't care about the rep that using cheap parts will have on the brand. And lets face it, it's penny pinching at its finest. Like some US built vehicles that think oh lets save 5 bucks and use cheap diff bearings on our 4WD's. Manufacture 10 million vehicles and that's a great saving, too bad about the rep......

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You want to sell a VF and buy a ZB just because the VF is a tiny bit bigger? Wow, be prepared to throw away a lot of money.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
You want to sell a VF and buy a ZB just because the VF is a tiny bit bigger? Wow, be prepared to throw away a lot of money.
Wow! Friendly much?
1. The ZB is more powerful (2 litre compared to the 3 litre in the VF) with better torque.
2. It is more economical that the VF.
3. You can pick up an "RS" model with all the safety goodies, balance of new car warranty, better audio / nav /android connectivity with with less than ten kay on the odo for around 25-29 grand whereas the new list price is around the forty mark, from memory. Yes...heaps of depreciation but then a lot of cars depreciate terribly over the first couple of years anyway. I'm an old fart so this would likely be my last car ever. So you wanna hit me again with the sarcasm?

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Both engines do use a timing chain.
All the cars using the Buick-derived 3.8 V6 were pushrod OHV.
This quote from the website "Unique Cars and Parts"...

"...The route eventually taken, however, was to locally assemble the 3.8-litre V6 used by Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac. The American V6 had evolved from a 1962 design but was being completely redesigned by the Americans for a 1988 relaunch. Although still slightly primitive in mechanical specification, this pushrod donk performed well and had bags of torque. In the US it was only being built for front-wheel drive and for use with an automatic, so the GM-H engineers had to turn the east-west engine north-south and adapt it for the two transmissions planned for local use: the M78 5-speed and the MD8 Turbohydramatic slushbox..."

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep pushrods and timing chain, Holden done away with cam gears many years earlier.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Yep pushrods and timing chain, Holden done away with cam gears many years earlier.
The 3.8 Buick-derived engines were all pushrod. The VY release saw the use of the first OHC since the VL Nissan motor.