Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
To me the Camry’s purpose is the same as a ZB. Get you and the kids from A to B in relative comfort.

The Camry does a much better job, with all the safety and tech for about 15k less than a VXR, with the great Toyota build quality. Even the Chassis feels a ton better than the ZB boat. My Corolla actually handles great too, I feel the chassis could handle a lot more power. Hopefully they build the new GR Corolla, I’ll have one for sure.

If I had kids I would 100% have a new SL Camry. I think it looks great too. Toyota definitely doing all the right things at the moment.
Myself and the missus recently looked at a ZB RS to replace our pathetic TM Barina. That lasted about 5 seconds. Given the history we have had with the Barina, there was no way another Holden would be parked in our driveway. The Aussie built Commodores are great cars so i'll keep the VE for as long as I can, but the current line up does nothing for me.

So off to Toyota we went on the weekend and ordered a new C-HR. I am happy to pay $34K for a Toyota SUV rather than get a bargain ZB.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I am happy to pay $34K for a Toyota SUV rather than get a bargain ZB.

At least you will know where to take it if something needs servicing or replacement.
Daughter has a 4 year old Aus built Camry, and a 2 year old Yaris. Neither has had a recall, warranty or service problem.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
At least you will know where to take it if something needs servicing or replacement.
Daughter has a 4 year old Aus built Camry, and a 2 year old Yaris. Neither has had a recall, warranty or service problem.
We just got the daughter a 2007 Aurion SX6 for her first car. Looked at a newer Cruze for the same money but there was no way that was going to happen. Now she likes the V6 power.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
To me the Camry’s purpose is the same as a ZB. Get you and the kids from A to B in relative comfort.

The Camry does a much better job, with all the safety and tech for about 15k less than a VXR, with the great Toyota build quality. Even the Chassis feels a ton better than the ZB boat. My Corolla actually handles great too, I feel the chassis could handle a lot more power. Hopefully they build the new GR Corolla, I’ll have one for sure.

If I had kids I would 100% have a new SL Camry. I think it looks great too. Toyota definitely doing all the right things at the moment.
Goodness comparing
Myself and the missus recently looked at a ZB RS to replace our pathetic TM Barina. That lasted about 5 seconds. Given the history we have had with the Barina, there was no way another Holden would be parked in our driveway. The Aussie built Commodores are great cars so i'll keep the VE for as long as I can, but the current line up does nothing for me.

So off to Toyota we went on the weekend and ordered a new C-HR. I am happy to pay $34K for a Toyota SUV rather than get a bargain ZB.

Well, I sent a link from a pro review much earlier, and it said the ZB 4 cyl made the VF a second rate car blowing it away through corners etc etc. That came from a pro reviewer. The quality of the ZB 4 is recognised in relation the comparatively kerb weight, combined with scintillating turbo response compared to the heavier weighted VF with 235kw yet the lithe, agile 4 with 191 kw comes up trumps. One blogger here quoted from another review ( again not my words) that demonstrates a distinct preference for the ZB 4 .. The VXR has been “rejected from the ZB litter” , and at a list price of $55900, it is a shocker, even the four wasn’t too far away from the 0 to 100 sprint. When you get the superb 4 as I did (demo of 5000 klms) for $27880, I knew I had gift , and it even exceeds my expectations all the time.
So the continued references to “ its your opinion Tezza”, is just an attempt to GLOSS OVER WHAT INDEPENDENT REVIEWS SAY . IN OTHER WORDS IT IS THEIR VIEW THAT THE 4 IS A PREFERRED DRIVING EXPERIENCE . These reviews are documented within this thread.

Thanks again from Tezza , time to say sorry for my bagging of people here. I’ve done enough to communicate the brilliance of the ZB 4 petrol turbo. I’m actually hopeful some potential, but genuine buyers might at least go for a drive
I’ll return for my annual review of my LT in 12 months, and of course watch to see if an astute buyer buys the ZB LT and reports that to us in the meantime

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
.. nothing wrong with the car (from ZB base LT up) as I have stated here
but
it ain't no Commodore

^^^ That.

Commodores are RWD modern muscle cars. If it were RWD and had a TT v6 it **may** have stood a chance but like rolling out a FWD based soft roader awd system with a Landcruiser badge - there is more to the car than just the name. IMO they should have stuck with the Insignia name - call a spade a spade. Don't try to pretend it's something else. Doesn't matter how good it is

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Commodores are RWD modern muscle cars. If it were RWD and had a TT v6 it **may** have stood a chance but like rolling out a FWD based soft roader awd system with a Landcruiser badge - there is more to the car than just the name. ...
The Ford Focus RS 4WD, a true performance machine, has a GKN Rear Drive Unit with a rear drive shaft clutch as well as a clutch on each rear axle. The RDU can apportion power front to rear and side to side. I believe a similar GKN system is used in the ZB though calibration is a little different (and drift mode was not included). As such, it's not really accurate to call it a soft roader style AWD system.

Like it, love it, hate it... the ZB's drive system is rather interesting and works rather well from what i've read... It just needed a V6TT or V8 to cater for the power nuts (but GM always had other plans) o_O

Last edited:

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo

To make reference to a Barina, then suddenly just 'drop a comment' , about an RS Commodore (4cyl) that you had a five second thought about.. then said you'd never have a Holden in the drive again, yet you own a VE is not authentic. You said the ZB does nothing for 'me , yet it is abundantly clear that you certainly haven't driven it, and I suspect you have never got in it .There is no comment whatever about driving the ZB, so I dismiss all you say as complete rubbish. Anyone driving it, particularly in a forum called 'Just Commodores' will say something about the car in some detail.. clearly you have not driven it , like most who talk bullshit like this. This is what annoys me, people just making up fables and make gooses of themselves

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Just out of curiosity, how does that 4 cylinder go with a trailer on the back with 1/2m³ of builders mix (gross over a ton of extra weight)?

I know you are being facetious but the answer according to the brochure: the max unbraked towing limit for the ZB is 750kg regardless of whats up front. If the trailer has brakes then the weights go to 1800 for the 2.0L and 2100 for the V6.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The Ford Focus RS 4WD, a true performance machine, has a GKN Rear Drive Unit with a rear drive shaft clutch as well as a clutch on each rear axle. The RDU can apportion power front to rear and side to side. I believe a similar GKN system is used in the ZB though calibration is a little different (and drift mode was not included). As such, it's not really accurate to call it a soft roader style AWD system.

Like it, love it, hate it... the ZB's drive system is rather interesting and works rather well from what i've read... It just needed a V6TT or V8 to cater for the power nuts (but GM always had other plans) o_O

The discussion is not how good or bad the ZB is, more about what it isn't. And what it isn't is a Commodore.

Status
Not open for further replies.