Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

under 100,000 and new engine needed

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
My 09 ssv has just ticked over 98,000kms. Started it at work last week and straight away started making a hell of a racket. Almost a skuffing, grabbing sound. Oil pressure and level perfect. Got it towed to holden and turns out it was camshaft and lifter failure! And it must have done some damage as its getting another motor installed (under warrenty thank f**k.) How it was running fine when i switched it off at the start of the day, then come lunch after a second of idleing it turns to custard, i just dont know. Oil and filter changed 400 kms ago. Is this a problem the ls2 is known for or some other reason.. has me stumped.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Yea mate i dont wana imagine what it would of cost me..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Bloody hope they are installing a new crate motor and not some unknown condition second hand one.

Sounds like oil didn't make it to the lifters or cam.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Not sure mate but ive told them id rather a new one than an unknown rebuilt item.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not sure mate but ive told them id rather a new one than an unknown rebuilt item.

They won't use a rebuilt one. The dealership will get Holden to pay for it under warranty, engine and labour. But I'm not sure if they use a new motor or a "equal condition" motor. Ask the dealership. Kick up a stink if its a used motor.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
My 09 ssv has just ticked over 98,000kms. Started it at work last week and straight away started making a hell of a racket. Almost a skuffing, grabbing sound. Oil pressure and level perfect. Got it towed to holden and turns out it was camshaft and lifter failure! And it must have done some damage as its getting another motor installed (under warrenty thank f**k.) How it was running fine when i switched it off at the start of the day, then come lunch after a second of idleing it turns to custard, i just dont know. Oil and filter changed 400 kms ago. Is this a problem the ls2 is known for or some other reason.. has me stumped.

Who did the oil change mate?
Was it the dealer?

No way these engines should be giving up at 100k.
At least you've got the warranty to rely on, otherwise that would have been one expensive repair bill!

Others have posted that you should demand a new engine (vs a recon), but how do you ensure that's the case? Trust the dealer?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Who did the oil change mate?
Was it the dealer?

No way these engines should be giving up at 100k.
At least you've got the warranty to rely on, otherwise that would have been one expensive repair bill!

Others have posted that you should demand a new engine (vs a recon), but how do you ensure that's the case? Trust the dealer?

I would simply ask to see it, either when the engine arrives, or when its being fitted.

Obviously they would use all the old engines accessories (power steering pump, alternator, A/C, etc) though.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yea mate i dont wana imagine what it would of cost me..

$3000, is not cheap, about same cost as trans recond or diff replacement, would say either of those are more common in an SS that's done sub 100k. Is rims and tyre spend in the large scheme of things, but a huge bonus for you both not having to pay and having the benefit for resale.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
The chrisler jeep and dodge dealer i got it from changed the oil. The warrenty isint the new car warranty but one i payed a few grand for when i brought it.