Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 VE V Transmission issue

Cammo6556

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 V commodore
Hi guys.

Appreciate your expertise/opinions on this.

I'm the owner of an 06 VE V.

Recently, it has started over-revving before dropping into second gear, and occasionally into third. I more or less need to take my foot of the pedal and wait for it to change.

I'll admit it is overdue for a service, but all fluid levels seem ok as far as I can see (oil, water etc). I have no idea about the trans fluid though.

Is that what it could be, or something more sinister?

Thanks in advance

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Is that the 4 speed auto?
When was the last time it had a service, sounds like it needs one desperately!!
My 4 speed gets like that every couple of years then I service it and it's good again.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Mine does that too. Failing incorrect levels,
Probably a clutch pack or solenoids - likely 1-2K fix.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
I had an issue with mine a fair while ago that felt like it was slipping a fair bit on gear changes and mostly on takeoff. Also when engine braking downhill it felt like it was jumping in and out of gear. Turned out to be the learning function. Reset the TAP cells with a Tech2 and it's been perfect ever since. Might be worth a shot.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I had an issue with mine a fair while ago that felt like it was slipping a fair bit on gear changes and mostly on takeoff. Also when engine braking downhill it felt like it was jumping in and out of gear. Turned out to be the learning function. Reset the TAP cells with a Tech2 and it's been perfect ever since. Might be worth a shot.

When you say learning function does that mean this will fix over time? Mine does similar. Or does it need to be reset by a Tech2 (My mechanic has a Snapon Scanner, can it be done with that too)

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
When you say learning function does that mean this will fix over time? Mine does similar. Or does it need to be reset by a Tech2 (My mechanic has a Snapon Scanner, can it be done with that too)

If it is the learning function playing up, no I don't believe it will fix itself. TAP stands for Transmission Adaptive Pressure from memory. From my understanding it is basically a spreadsheet type table of values that tells the 'box when to shift, how hard to shift etc. So as you drive it is supposed to update the values depending on how you drive. When those values get out of range, or more likely conflict with each other, you notice it not shifting properly. I always use the manual select mode until I get to a parking lot where I change to auto. So I wonder if doing that confuses it after a while as when it's in auto I am always crawling along (but that's 100% guesswork). Resetting just puts it back to factory values. This may make it feel different for a while as it adapts back to your driving style, but when the thing is playing up anyway it should actually feel a lot better. (I didn't notice any weirdness, it felt exactly the same as before I started having issues).

According to my manual, a scan tool is required to do so. I've only done it with a Tech2, but it sounds like any decent tool can do it. So I would expect a Snapon to do it. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like pulling the battery or a fuse for a period will do it.

This might not work, but I figure it's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to try before doing too much else. I had actually been talking to my local Holden and was booking it in for a scheduled engine service so told him to do the transmission service too. He's the one that suggested doing this first as it wasn't due for quite a while. And I'd done every other thing software wise, such as the software update. (I didn't know what "reset TAP cells" was at that time, and thought it best not to play with **** I didn't know). Anyway, I hope it is something so simple in your case as well.