Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20” rims Tyre profile

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Ive got hf20s on a stock ssvr, and i dont find it rough in the slightest (spongey infact),
but my previous car was a ve ssv on coilovers.. so i may be tainted.
Our VF1 SSVR on stock 19's is too firm for the interior's structural integrity … we've got more interior rattles at 4.5yrs & 25k kms than our prior totally-standard VS Berlina had at 15yrs & 150k kms.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I think holden’s Biggest problem is how quiet they made the car.

Less outside sound means you can hear more inside sounds.

There was a MASSIVE difference with cabin noise between my VZ svz and the VF SSv.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Our VF1 SSVR on stock 19's is too firm for the interior's structural integrity … we've got more interior rattles at 4.5yrs & 25k kms than our prior totally-standard VS Berlina had at 15yrs & 150k kms.
Are you sure it isn't door rubbers making a noise. My VF2 also has the sunroof making a noise which my first VF didn't do. Drives me crazy.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I have the factory 20" rims on my VF with same sized tyres as above, have 95,000km on the clock and no rattles and I run the tyres between 39 and 43psi. I don't find them harsh at all.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure it isn't door rubbers making a noise. My VF2 also has the sunroof making a noise which my first VF didn't do. Drives me crazy.
I can hear percussing vibrations in the rattle somewhere around/near/in the rear driver's side door, that's not a door rubber. And that cover over the instrument cluster (the one covered with the perforated leather) has a squeak too. I'm afraid to attempt a warranty claim at a dealer due to them being likely to make it worse (eg. investigation into the VS's erratic air-vent flutter showed how the original dealer had tried & failed to fix it by applying what looked like kilo's of silicone sealant!).

But every time you hit a bump in the road, you can hear half the interior bits shaking against the other half ...

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
we've got more interior rattles
oh yeah my car definitely rattles, its a sept 17 build with 10,000kms on the clock, that holden shutdown imminent quality

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Ive got hf20s on a stock ssvr, and i dont find it rough in the slightest (spongey infact),
but my previous car was a ve ssv on coilovers.. so i may be tainted.

As Forg said sounds like their could be some other issue here. If the car is stock i cant see it being bump stops..
but maybe strut top bushes, or the shocks themselves? How many KMs on the car?
Id be getting the suspension looked at before blaming the wheels.
Changing wheels shouldnt suddenly cause the suspension to crash into bump stops.
Alright fair enough, its a 2016 VF SS II FE2 suspension its got 93,000km i've only owned the car for 2 weeks now. Could be strut tops there is a gap on each. Do you think the 245/45/20 would scrub on the fronts has anyone seen those on a ve/vf?

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Even if they don’t (kinda doubt they would), I wouldn’t spend any money on them assuming the ride-quality will improve; I still reckon something else needs attention.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do you think the 245/45/20 would scrub on the fronts has anyone seen those on a ve/vf?

Regardless of fit, a profile of 45 on a 20 inch diameter tyre would make the side wall too high and look awful in my opinion.

If you don't like the ride swap out the rims for 19 or 18's and buy tyres of the correct diameter to suit and that should help improve your ride comfort over the current 20's.

And I agree with Forg, I'd be off to a suspension shop and ask them to do a check for other possible problems before spending too much cash on new tyres.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Okay cheers fellas, i've noticed there's a 5mm gap from the body and top rubber strut mount, i recall the strut mounts would flog out around the 100k mark in ve's? Should the rubber sit flush on the body?