Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 SSV Redline - No Rear Cupholders

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Actually ... maybe I should ask what a “clear coat” is these days?
Because I did think that with 2-pack paint, the final coat(s?) you apply, which sets the paint, is clear?
Or are we talking about painting with the standard 2-pack process, and then applying an extra coat of clear over the top? How does that work with 2-pack, do you need two coats to get the one coat?

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
2 Pack is usually any paint system that requires a catalyst/hardener to set. For example we would lay down a base coat of what ever colour and then put down a couple of coats of 2 pack clear, the clear needed the hardener, this is a clear over base COB. Heron white at the time was a solid it had the hardener added to the colour and was sprayed straight up, no clear it was still a 2 pack though.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Any idea when they started doing this as I have seen it come up a lot.
I painted Commodores at the Elizabeth plant from around 1998 to 2007 and it was'nt being done then.

Not sure, I thought all VE's onwards were clear over base?
I've paint corrected a couple of VE's and a VF and they were clear coated.
A white VT I did wasn't cleared, and a solid red VX I played wit didn't have a clear coat.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
2 Pack is usually any paint system that requires a catalyst/hardener to set. For example we would lay down a base coat of what ever colour and then put down a couple of coats of 2 pack clear, the clear needed the hardener, this is a clear over base COB. Heron white at the time was a solid it had the hardener added to the colour and was sprayed straight up, no clear it was still a 2 pack though.
Cool, thanks!
So I guess you prolly have to make sure you work quickly enough if you’re mixing both parts into the one pot? Or does using less hardener buy you more time?

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Cool, thanks!
So I guess you prolly have to make sure you work quickly enough if you’re mixing both parts into the one pot? Or does using less hardener buy you more time?
Sort of, the correct ratio is needed for the catalyst to work but you can get a slow medium and fast hardener.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Red Hot/Sting Red has clear coat.
Certainly has, I rubbed through the clear coat on Red Hot with a clay bar on the bottom of the drivers door. Track stripes covered it perfectly as an interim remedy!