Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
There’s multiple threads regarding the dreaded airbag light on commodores - most common issue being the clockspring. However I used a scan tool to check airbag fault on a 2002 VX LS1 and it came up with “fault 21 driver airbag circuit resistance too high”.

Can’t find what “fault 21” refers to.

Since I’ve managed to get live data and fault code readout I’m a bit confused whether they refer to the driver airbag as the clockspring? Note: horn and steering wheel buttons don’t work, I will do clockspring but I wonder if the same fault is related to the airbag module?

Any clarity is appreciated cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 18

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
There’s multiple threads regarding the dreaded airbag light on commodores - most common issue being the clockspring. However I used a scan tool to check airbag fault on a 2002 VX LS1 and it came up with “fault 21 driver airbag circuit resistance too high”.

Can’t find what “fault 21” refers to.

Since I’ve managed to get live data and fault code readout I’m a bit confused whether they refer to the driver airbag as the clockspring? Note: horn and steering wheel buttons don’t work, I will do clockspring but I wonder if the same fault is related to the airbag module?

Any clarity is appreciated cheers
It's usually a boken wire in the clockspring, but can be anywhere in the system?
Since the horn & steeering wheel controls aren't working, l'd say clockspring for sure?

Get the steering wheel of & put a mutimeter on it & test for continuance.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
the srs computer has found a high resistance to the drivers airbag
it does not know where the problem is
that is for you to diagnose
thats why we always say it is a fault code telling you where to test
not a shopping list
most likely is the clockspring
so either test further or take a guess at the most common wearing item

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The Sensing and Diagnostic module (aka SDM or Airbag), along with other modules (such as ABS) has its own series of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka DTCs or error codes). Refer to the attached excerpt from the Holden VT/VX Service Manual for info on DTC 21.

Attachments

• DTC 21 - DRIVER AIR BAG CIRCUIT RESISTANCE TOO HIGH.pdf
    521.1 KB · Views: 22

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The Sensing and Diagnostic module (aka SDM or Airbag), along with other modules (such as ABS) has its own series of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka DTCs or error codes). Refer to the attached excerpt from the Holden VT/VX Service Manual for info on DTC 21.
Cheers I was basically looking for airbag codes and whether code 21 is part of the BCM data or the scan tool showing it’s own version

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
d whether code 21 is part of the BCM data or the scan tool showing it’s own version
21 is a sdm (airbag code). High resistance. Nothing to do with the bcm.
You're drivers airbag is 12.1 ohms.
The airbag system likes, (if l remember correctly) 1.8 to 3 ohms. Anything that's below 1.8, or above 3 ohms will set the airbag system of.

Have you pulled the steering wheel of yet & tested the clockspring?

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I’ve replaced the clockspring and horn pad, unfortunately the second hand horn pad I have seems faulty as the horn is constantly on when I connect the negative back on. I fitted the original horn pad and horn is okay. Is it possible to remove horn relay, clear airbag light and see if it fixes the horn pad? My original one is quite worn out so would like to replace it

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve replaced the clockspring and horn pad, unfortunately the second hand horn pad I have seems faulty as the horn is constantly on when I connect the negative back on. I fitted the original horn pad and horn is okay. Is it possible to remove horn relay, clear airbag light and see if it fixes the horn pad? My original one is quite worn out so would like to replace it
You can swap the horn pads, no probem.
Has the horn turned off? & if so, does the horn now work, when pushing the horn?

Airbag light won't clear (if problem has been fixed) unless you have a scan tool.

Hint, if you have a scan tool, & the the fault is still current, the fault won't clear. Basically it means there is still a problem.
If the fault is now in history, the fault will clear. Means the problem has been fixed.
Good luck.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
use your old hornpad and "new" clockspring
clear airbag code
buy another hornpad later
horn is a completely different circuit to airbag, so clearing code wont fix horn

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
You can swap the horn pads, no probem.
Has the horn turned off? & if so, does the horn now work, when pushing the horn?

Airbag light won't clear (if problem has been fixed) unless you have a scan tool.

Hint, if you have a scan tool, & the the fault is still current, the fault won't clear. Basically it means there is still a problem.
If the fault is now in history, the fault will clear. Means the problem has been fixed.
Good luck.
Ive got scan tool to read and clear the faults, I will clear fault first with original horn pad and then check everything. Then once all good I'll swap the horn pad and see how it goes

Reactions: Lex