Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can I make my car more fuel efficient ?

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Hi,

I have a 2007 SS, L98 6.0L engine with 83,000 km, Automatic transmission 4-speed. My car has only a 3 inch XForce exhaust system. I didn't install xforce headers.

My friend has a 2012 SS automatic transmission 6-speed, I don't know the engine is L77 or L76, but it's a V8 and it consumes only 7.9L/100km :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

My car is always 13.43L/100km (Highway). I never get 11L/100km or 9L/100km.

Also, My little brother has a 2014 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl, 1.6 L, Automatic 6-speed, it consumes only 9L/100km.

I'm surprised, how can a v8 engine consume less than a 4-cylinder engine?

Why does his car consume less fuel? Is it because automatic 6-speed? Can I change my transmission to a manual transmission 6-speed? It's available here and very cheap. What else do I need if I want to change to a manual transmission?

Can I make my car more fuel efficient? Would my car consume less fuel if I use a 5w30 engine oil instead of a 10w30?

I can go to Dyno shop, and get my engine tune, would my engine consume like his car after tuning? What Maximum consumption I can get after tuning my engine? 10L/100km?

Also, I have a vacuum leak, I tried many times to find the leak, but I couldn't. The car is running normal. Can this vacuum leak decrease fuel economy?

Sorry guys, If I asked too many questions. Thanks in advance.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
7.9 seems a bit low, is that a true reading?? He would have the afm motor that runs on 4cyl. Ours is lucky to get 10L per 100.

For you a 6 speed would help a bit but better to get a tune.

Oil wouldn't make a difference

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
"My friend has a 2012 SS automatic transmission 6-speed, I don't know the engine is L77 or L76, but it's a V8 and it consumes only 7.9L/100km"

Does your friend mix his own fuel with camel piss?

WTB: camel piss.

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Disconnect 4 of the ignition leads and make it into a 4 cylinder.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
A smaller diameter exhaust may be better 'tuned' to the lower rpm driving associated with maximising fuel economy. (ie, 2.5")
Check how clean your air filter is, even consider changing to a less restrictive style.
And yes a good tune will help. A lot!! as long as it is by someone who is good at it and will listen to you that you are after smooth power delivery and the best fuel economy. (who cares about max power, that number will not affect economy)

Best of Luck

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
the 2012 ss I would assume would have afm,I think he may be telling you porkie pies mate,are these readings from the dash or taken from the bowser with litres used per kilometres driven,the car gauge is reasonably accurate but not 100% imo

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
buy 6L v8

whinge about fuel consumption

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
you cant have both worlds , v8 use about 5L more for 100k if you complain other a few litters more for more power and nice sounds then sell it and get a v6 or a 4 cylinder or put it on lpg.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe try working through this list. Hope it helps

Yes check O2 sensors first.
New Air Cleaner Element (filter).
Replace the plugs if not already done.
Check tyre pressures are not too low - between 36-40 pounds.
Clean the throttle body & make sure the MAF is clear of rubbish & is clean.
Add some injector cleaner in with the next tank of fuel to clean the injectors.
Check how easy the wheels rotate. If they are hard to spin when jacked up check these two things
What are the brake pads like. If they are well worn & the pistons extended out a lot. They may possibly be dragging. Also make sure the hand brake is not over adjusted
When was the last engine oil change done ? Make sure fresh oil of correct viscosity is used.

Check to make sure aircon is not used too much while driving.
Keep windows up or open only very slightly.
Check & remove roof racks if fitted.
Consider removing rear large rear boot spoiler if fitted.
Smooth acceleration while driving will help. These things are very thirsty around town.

I find with city driving, if I get stuck at traffic lights a lot & held in long ques of cars the fuel consumption rockets up. Have noticed this in both V6 & V8 models I have owned.

That's what I can think of that's worth trying, good luck with it.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
your usage is pretty reasonable, a 6 speed trans would help, but what can you do.

I call complete BS on your mate usage. Maybe he is measuring km per litre?

To make your car more economical you will need to accelerate slower, coast to a stop using the brakes as little as safe, and listen to calming music when driving.

Or you could just enjoy your car for what it is meant for.