Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Colour of VE Calais Leather Seats

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Hello again, everyone.

Just curious to know whether anybody here either knows of an effective, lasting way to change the colour of the interior leather, or has done it themselves.

I'm considering changing from the cream interior colour scheme to black. I've read that the top few layers may need some abrasive removal, and the rest can be painted over, but i'm trying to find a way to either stain or permanently alter the colour without any risk of flakiness.

Basically wondering which methods they use in the factory.

Thanks!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Basically wondering which methods they use in the factory.

Doubt they would do anything like that in the factory and would just purchase the leather in the required colour. Outside of actually putting seats together I don't think they would have anything to do with the leather or its manufacture/colour.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
an effective, lasting way to change the colour of the interior leather

Buy another interior including seats, carpets, roof lining, door trims etc and transplant.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
The main reason i'm asking is because i don't want to shell out the amount it would cost to buy replacements :/

Even wreckers seem to be a complete rip off for those sorts of things. Not sure what happened to paying minimal money for things that would probably otherwise be destroyed or go unused for the foreseeable future, especially when you go to the effort of disassembling/removing it yourself*.

(*I haven't been to one of these places in over a decade, not sure if methods have changed or not :p)

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Buy another interior including seats, carpets, roof lining, door trims etc and transplant.

What VS 5.0 said - would be fiddly to refit, but a hell of lot fiddlier than trying to recolour all those nooks and crannies especially in the seams.

There are three VE Calais interiors on Gumtree, one is black in Melbourne. They come up regularly.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dan.../holden-calais-ve-leather-interior/1150037630

You can always then sell your beige interior afterwards to recoup some of the cost.

HTH Nick

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You can always then sell your beige interior afterwards to recoup some of the cost.

Or even offer a swap with a black interior. Plenty prefer the light colour instead of the dark.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I never think to check Gumtree... It would probably serve me well to consider it in the future, haha.

Thanks guys, i'll check out a few more options. The trade idea is another good one. Hopefully i find somebody who's up for it! :)

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice! Thanks, man :)

I kind of feel like it'd be a pretty fun project as well, to be honest. Just taking the seats out one by one, and recolouring them as such.

If i feel like it - i might even do the rest of the interior to match :eek: