Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Im wondering if this unit will loose functionality of the bi modal mufflers.
The Aerpro facia kit makes no mention of losing bi-model and i vaguely remember a bi-model setting so i don't see why this unit would lose it.

Aerpro kit missing functions:
The following OEM features in the vehicle will not be retained:
  • 90 degree side (180 degree total) detection camera
  • Adaptive reverse camera lines
  • Auto detect front sensors
  • Heated seats
  • Sport functions for laps and timing
  • OEM Cross Traffic Alert feature
  • Ambient temperature

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@stooge I just went and checked my Alpine Halo9, i recently managed to buy from another Just Commodore member the Alpine Holden VF specific head unit module and it has bi-model On/Off settings.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@stooge I just went and checked my Alpine Halo9, i recently managed to buy from another Just Commodore member the Alpine Holden VF specific head unit module and it has bi-model On/Off settings.

the bimodal control is done through software specific canbus messages so the manufacturer needs to code that into the headunit software.
i would expect to see that type of r&d from a big player like alpine and thats why you pay 1500+

i probably should have worded my comment better to say "cheap aftermarket units".
most of the cheap units use the same canbus decoder across multiple variants of vehicle from the same manufacturer because the messages are the same so for the bi modal support to be included it would need to be programmed into the decoder to translate the messages and in the headunit software.

most of these chinese aftermarket kits use the same software/os across all of the units they sell for any vehicle, they just jam the crap in and try to make it work the best they can which is why some of them are so buggy.
some of them even come with malware preloaded like copycat, corejava and others lol

they dont even retain the factory microphone in most vehicles because the microphones can vary, some are powered and have preamps and bg noise cancelation in the mic modules while others are just a 2 wire mic so they just supply a crappy mic and expect you to mount it and most of the time it is horrible for the person on the other end when you are cruising on a noisy road because of the junk noise cancelation they use.

even with the aerpro kit if they spent enough time they could make the unit support every oem function but that will increase the cost to the consumer so they just decide what is acceptable to leave out and send it.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
@kleanphil do you get any photos of the loom before you put it in your dash?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@kleanphil do you get any photos of the loom before you put it in your dash?
Hi yes i have some photo's of the Alpine loom
1.jpg

2.jpg