Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nugggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore series 2 SV6
Hi, I needed to replace the engine in my VE as the old one carked it!
Ringing around, I found that Heaps of people have different ideas on what is right and what works/doesn't work..
I needed an LFX engine and found one for a very reasonable price. Only problem was that it came off a VF (but still the same LFX engine code)
After a few more calls, some people said flatly VF engine won't fit in VE.. They're not compatible etc..

But.. A few wreckers had said that they do indeed fit, but we just need to change the sump to make it fit.
The VF engine was selling for approximately 1/3 the price of a VE engine and only has 16,500kms on it.
So.. I bought the engine. My mechanic took the sump off my VE and put it on the VF engine. Used the wiring harness from my VE and whattya know, It FITS!
got everything bolted on and ready to start.. It winds over but no start!
My first thought was maybe the VE ECU isn't compatible with the VF engine?
I called Taree Holden, who advised that it won't work because it the ecu is VIN linked..
My mechanic then called Holden and was advised that the ECU is only linked to the BCM, not the engine.
Does anyone know if there is anything else that needs to be done to it that could possibly be stopping it from running?
My mechanic is going to get an auto electrician to have a look at it. I just thought maybe someone might be able to help on here..

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'm thinking a VF engine from wreckers for 16,500 Km what happened to the car. If it was a big hit maybe some of the sensors on the VF engine are faulty. First thing that comes to mind for me being I guess the most critical sensor is the crankshaft position sensor. As with any issue related to engine electrics a scan of fault codes is needed. Did your mechanic have ability to check for codes? I'm assuming the check engine light would have to be on. I would think the engines themselves would be virtually the same, I see from your ride the car is 2013 VE II, and as you already mentioned LFX engine for your car and the VF donor car.

Nugggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm thinking a VF engine from wreckers for 16,500 Km what happened to the car. If it was a big hit maybe some of the sensors on the VF engine are faulty. First thing that comes to mind for me being I guess the most critical sensor is the crankshaft position sensor. As with any issue related to engine electrics a scan of fault codes is needed. Did your mechanic have ability to check for codes? I'm assuming the check engine light would have to be on. I would think the engines themselves would be virtually the same, I see from your ride the car is 2013 VE II, and as you already mentioned LFX engine for your car and the VF donor car.

The engine was a private sale. It previously was a hire car.. Was T-boned and insurance mob wrote it off. Engine looks extreme tidy and im told by my mechanic that it was in very good condition.
To be honest I'm not sure what my mechanic has done to diagnose. He has a obd scanner so my assumption is that he's tried that.
I didn't have a lengthy conversation with him about it, and put this post up as soon as i got home, hoping someone else has tried to do the same thing.

Yeah, one would assume that both being LFX code they'd be the same. I'm not sure why the sump needed to be changed over too.. Just what I have been told.
I'll get more info from the mechanic tomorrow

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Back to basics, is the problem ignition (spark / timing), or fuel, or both? It may be easier to diagnose with this knowledge.

Nugggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys they figured it out! It was just a couple of bad earths..

So just to recap.. A lot of people said that you can't put a VF engine into a VE..
That is untrue. We now have a VF LFX engine in our series 2 VE (Originally also had LFX engine)
We did have to put the VE sump on, because the sensors are different. And used the VE wiring harness. So if anyone wanted to know.. Yes, it does work!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hi guys they figured it out! It was just a couple of bad earths..

So just to recap.. A lot of people said that you can't put a VF engine into a VE..
That is untrue. We now have a VF LFX engine in our series 2 VE (Originally also had LFX engine)
We did have to put the VE sump on, because the sensors are different. And used the VE wiring harness. So if anyone wanted to know.. Yes, it does work!

Cheers, good info. Did you have to do anything with the cam sensors/phasers?

Nugggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah mate, everything else bolted straight on without hassle.
Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Nah mate, everything else bolted straight on without hassle.
Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future
Excellent result, I suspect being an LFX to LFX was the key to the straight forward transplant. If it was originally an LLT I suspect you would have had more hurdles to overcome.

Nugggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah true. My understanding is that nothing but an LFX engine would have sufficed.
But so many people said that the VF l
LFX won't fit in my VE.. While some others said it would..

bazz61

Reaction score
Members Ride
veII sports wagon 2011
Yeah true. My understanding is that nothing but an LFX engine would have sufficed.
But so many people said that the VF l
LFX won't fit in my VE.. While some others said it would..
What happend to the original motor..?