Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deciding what to get VF or VF series 2.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
thats why you need convert them to 85 alcohol.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
i'm not sure you understand collectable cars and rarity that well, as the price of things goes up - the collectors are a more exclusive club.
Can you explain what you’re inferring by this?
How can something be collectable when demand for it is decreasing?

thats why you need convert them to 85 alcohol.
So there’s even less fuel availability & an even smaller potential market?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Can you explain what you’re inferring by this?
How can something be collectable when demand for it is decreasing?

You probably need to expose yourself to higher end collectables, i mean is there a huge demand out there for GTHO's or other older muscle cars?

Now get back to me when you see how much they are worth.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
there will always be petrol around, our power grid cant cope as is less alone millions of cars being charged
car collecting is big business, not only are enthusiast spending big dollars, investors with no interest in cars at all spend big dollars buying and selling
a poverty pack six cylinder early monaro just sold for $60000k , it was most likely 3-4k new late model monaros around 15 years old have increased in price from new already
some people don't understand the passion people have for cars, mint vb,c,k,l commodores are now collectable and rising in price, who would have thought
those lucky enough to have brought one of the my17 redlines and limited editions will see the values rise over time
10-15 years time will see them much sought after by collectors and investors as the best last holden cars made in australia

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... huge demand out there for GTHO's or other older muscle cars...
Genuine GTHO numbers were, what, only a few hundred. Same for the Holden derivatives of the time. Few remain. The current motorsports were in much much greater numbers, around 1200, making them less “unique” in numbers and a completely different item as compared to these ‘70’s specials.

In any case, even the price of these rare Aussie muscle cars tend to follow a bathtub price curve. In that they initially drop in value, stay low for years and only much later, when the kids who admired them while growing up are cashed up adults, does the price rise. And in some cases to silly levels.

Not sure what today’s kids admire, or whether large numbers of them are even interested in motor racing over their social media apps. And to make things interesting, the Holden Motorsport has not much in common with what’s on today’s track... unlike the ‘70’s muscle cars which were raced almost as sold to the public.

So it’s not quite apples to apples comparison.

... a poverty pack six cylinder early monaro just sold for $60000k , it was most likely 3-4k new late model monaros around 15 years old have increased in price from new already.....
10-15 years time will see them much sought after by collectors and investors as the best last holden cars made in australia
Maths not your strong point? $60000k = $60,000,000 but I’ll chalk it up to a typo :p

The one thing that is often overlooked is that restoring an old car would likely cost much more than $60k if you had to pay for all the work,not including the car itself or parts. Yea, probably a controversial statement here but many restored ‘fake’ muscle cars are actually sold at discount if you consider the labour put into the restoration. Then consider if you’d conservatively invested $5,000 in 1970 and left it untouched, now you’d have more than the fake cars sell for. If you’d have invested in some close to CBD properties, you’d have millions.

So unless you were a soothsayer, and could have picked a specific ‘70’s Ferrari that sells for the $10’s of millions now, probably wiser to stick to more conventional investment classes.

If you like muscle cars, by all means buy them to enjoy, not to keep garaged and pamper with a nappy expecting them to be a great asset class.

And like all investments, by low, sell high and you’ll be fine. Just be wary of the tulips :eek:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
collectable =/= investment, i didn't suggest investment of any sort.

The LE's will be worth big bucks though. Will they be an investment? no.

I think you are a bit confused at what i'm talking about.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
the limited editions will be worth BIG bucks in years to come, it's a guarantee.

collectable =/= investment, i didn't suggest investment of any sort.

The LE's will be worth big bucks though. Will they be an investment? no.

I think you are a bit confused at what i'm talking about.

Now I’m confused! :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^^ not confused at all mpower.

If you buy anything thinking it will be worth big bucks in future, you will do justice to consider the investment side of what you are doing. Anything else is delusional.

If you are buying to enjoy something, don’t consider future sales issues as such, otherwise you should be back to considering the investment side again.

Keeping art in the dark (where you can’t see it) or a car in storage (where you can’t drive it) is nuts IMO, regardless of it being “collectable” or of a few instances of value appreciation these things can bring.

As far as the limited edition VF’s are concerned, other than the Magnum Ute and Calais, numbers were far too high to illicit some rarity factor. You’d have to wait years for them to start to disappear through attrition, before their value could even start to increase appreciably.

Last I looked, some months ago, new old models were still available. That’s still the case today, White Motorsport with 9kms for <$70k or red Motorsport with 5,893kms for <$56k. I’ll leave you to google “car sales Holden Magnum” to see the silly state of the market. This doesn’t bode well for desirability as the current demand isn’t being fulfilled. So how can something be collectable when they still haven’t sold out...?

As Forg stated, many off lease VF V8’s will be dumped on the market next year so that will clarify the market appetite for such vehicles. As new old stock is still available, short term things don’t look good and it should be apparent to all the cliff is coming up.

Me I’ll just drive my Motorsport on a sunny day, only because I can’t be bothered washing cars, not because it is going to be valuable in future.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Genuine GTHO numbers were, what, only a few hundred. Same for the Holden derivatives of the time. Few remain. The current motorsports were in much much greater numbers, around 1200, making them less “unique” in numbers and a completely different item as compared to these ‘70’s specials.

In any case, even the price of these rare Aussie muscle cars tend to follow a bathtub price curve. In that they initially drop in value, stay low for years and only much later, when the kids who admired them while growing up are cashed up adults, does the price rise. And in some cases to silly levels.

Not sure what today’s kids admire, or whether large numbers of them are even interested in motor racing over their social media apps. And to make things interesting, the Holden Motorsport has not much in common with what’s on today’s track... unlike the ‘70’s muscle cars which were raced almost as sold to the public.

Maths not your strong point? $60000k = $60,000,000 but I’ll chalk it up to a typo :p

The one thing that is often overlooked is that restoring an old car would likely cost much more than $60k if you had to pay for all the work,not including the car itself or parts. Yea, probably a controversial statement here but many restored ‘fake’ muscle cars are actually sold at discount if you consider the labour put into the restoration. Then consider if you’d conservatively invested $5,000 in 1970 and left it untouched, now you’d have more than the fake cars sell for. If you’d have invested in some close to CBD properties, you’d have millions.

So unless you were a soothsayer, and could have picked a specific ‘70’s Ferrari that sells for the $10’s of millions now, probably wiser to stick to more conventional investment classes.

If you like muscle cars, by all means buy them to enjoy, not to keep garaged and pamper with a nappy expecting them to be a great asset class.

And like all investments, by low, sell high and you’ll be fine. Just be wary of the tulips :eek:

the 60k morano which sold was a poverty pack was hardly a muscle car, 3 speed 161, it was unrestored low milage
a 327 monaro un restored passed in, bid up to just under 300k ,
both unrestored cars no resto
better than money in the bank at the moment looking at interest rates
my advice for any one wanting a vf commodore if they have a choice is to buy the best and last model
my17 ssv redline or limited edition models, its a no brainer, as history shows, these cars kept in good original condition will increase in value
the last aussie cars built ever, long live the king

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
its a no brainer, as history shows,

As per our friends in the superannuation industry - "past performance is not an indicator of future performance".

Also, if a car was passed in, that means the market wasn't prepared to pay what the owner wanted which is relevant given that the market value of anything is only what the market is prepared to pay.