Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden no more: 600 jobs go, 10 yr support.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
you gonna ask Ford and Toyota (and Nissan and mitsubishi) too?

you will get more if you want the guvmint to start ask the banking and mining industries
to give back the 100s of $ Billions they have been given over the past 20 years?

The car industry (Ford Toyota and Holden) were getting about $ 500 million a year
but
the banks here were given subsidies totalling about $5 BILLION and the mining industry
approx $8 BILLION in the last budget.

And the German auto industry (70 billion euro) and the French/Belgium auto industries
(about 20 BILLION Euro) got subsidies 80 times more than here

And don't start me on Volvo...

Total bollocks...:mad:
They only gave Holden $2b and it wasn't a loan and it came with no contracts to abide buy, besides over the 160 years they been in business I'm sure the government is still in profit from new and old car sales plus taxes received from the business and employees over that time. Besides that they making 1.1b a year on just speeding fines alone across Australia so don't think they worried about the 2b they gave, what's to say they put a hidden tax on fuel or something to pay for it, remember when Pyramid bank went broke they added 2c or something to the fuel to pay out their debt we probably still paying that extra 2c.

I'm more worried on the 600 people and their families who will now be sitting at Centrelink waiting for their 260 a week to feed their kids.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm more worried on the 600 people and their families who will now be sitting at Centrelink waiting for their 260 a week to feed their kids.
I can assure you that people with children get far more than $260 a week. Some familys receive more from Centrelink than those who are working full time. ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Some familys receive more from Centrelink than those who are working full time.

Indeed.

A number of years ago, I was assessing a personal loan for a guy to buy a new car. His Centrelink income due to the number of kids he had and his indeginous heritage was well above mine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I view Centrelink income statements on a weekly sometimes daily basis. A single parent with 4 kids is on around $1000 a week no tax. The minimum wage which a lot a Tasmanians are on is around $760 - $780 less tax.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They only gave Holden $2b and it wasn't a loan and it came with no contracts to abide buy, besides over the 160 years they been in business I'm sure the government is still in profit from new and old car sales plus taxes received from the business and employees over that time. Besides that they making 1.1b a year on just speeding fines alone across Australia so don't think they worried about the 2b they gave, what's to say they put a hidden tax on fuel or something to pay for it, remember when Pyramid bank went broke they added 2c or something to the fuel to pay out their debt we probably still paying that extra 2c.
They'd probably have taxed Holden & component-supplier employees way more than any subsidy.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I view Centrelink income statements on a weekly sometimes daily basis. A single parent with 4 kids is on around $1000 a week no tax. The minimum wage which a lot a Tasmanians are on is around $760 - $780 less tax.
But surely if someone's on minimum wage & is single with 4 kids, they'd be on more than $1k/wk after tax including Centrelink supplements to their income?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A single pensioner gets $926 a fortnight, plus health care card, Housing Tas rent of $150 a week, and discounts on power, rego. When i started my job 5 years ago i was on less than a pensioner and had to drive 80km each to get to work and back, five days a week. Pensioner can sit back and watch TV all day and still get more money than I was on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But surely if someone's on minimum wage & is single with 4 kids, they'd be on more than $1k/wk after tax including Centrelink supplements to their income?
You don't get as much Fam Tax if you're working full time compared to a pensioner. You can't get Newstart if you work full time regardless of how little you earn. I have families working full time that even with Fam Tax are getting less than they would on Centrelink. They then have to get to work and pay 350 - 400 bucks in rent because they are not eligible for Housing Tas property. After tax they would be on around the same as a pensioner. Yet they refuse to leave work because it's important for them to not rely on welfare.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had a bloke with kids come in yesterday. He quit his job because he gets as much on Centrelink and doesn't have to pay for petrol to get to work.