Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hud

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Beautiful Picture Yes, can you please measure reasonably accurate the size of that hole where the the projector projects the image out of. "example" 110MM X 95MM.

I have found a aftermarket LCD Heads up display (very Bright that has many like 5 to 6 pages of info) that can live in that hole of that bezel so all I need to do is buy a Genuine HUD HOOD with the standard cut out section towards the screen with red stitches like yours and buy the BEZEL that goes into the HOOD (yeah the Bezel the one with that big hole and mod it as the dash panel is different on the SSV Redline HUD models compared to the NON HUD models. Thanks for the Workshop Manual) and run the flat ribbon cable it inside the dash untouched and plug it into the OBD2 port. This aftermarket HUD is controlled by a miniature radio freq control (good for 2M) that does 100% of the operation of the hud. Actually its sort of identical to what your display does with the up/down selector and the knob.
This after market HUD has auto shut off after 10 seconds and in this mode of standby it only draws only a few mA. Once the engine is fired up it auto starts plus its test the engine for engine faults and if it does find a fault the buzzer goes off. Also its smart enough that after it has found a fault I think all you have to do is press the OK button for 5 to 6 seconds and its clears a clear-able fault.
Yes Please measure the actual hole size of that Bezel. Please try not to be conned by the tapering of the plastic that might give you an incorrect measurement.
By the way I did rattle through the Workshop manual on everything that is needed to convert to Original GM Heads Up display on a car without it. All you do is you need a VIN number of a Heads Up display car, give it to the dealer with the parts required and you better sit down and that's without the windscreen. The Windscreen alone will set you back over $1000. As for the stick on tint stuff needed for this project I have a few options and I will look at all of the material available once I decide If I go ahead with this project of mine.

Many Many Thanks

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Does these after market HUD display the posted speed limit. Because for me , the speed limit is the most important item.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
To clarify (and apologies for the size of the image it was the only one I could find to linky), the "Bezel" you are referring to is the piece of plastic at the front of the leather-textured instrument-binnacle cover?
The hole you want the dimensions of, do you mean the hole that would be left in the dash if you pulled that bezel out? Or do you mean a dimension of the bezel itself?
I couldn't tell you the size of the hole if the bezel was to come out, as I'd have to pull it out to measure.
It will also be a bit difficult to measure as it's not at all square.

maxresdefault.jpg

I just re read your post and I might have missed something.
The measurement i'm talking about is the bezel that you can see whilst sitting on your seat looking out the front windscreen and its close to the lower part of the screen . Now on the left hand side of the bezel you can see the hole is straight up and down. The hole actually looks wider on the left than on the right hand side and the right hand side also looks narrower and looks like its tapered. The long side closest to the windscreen also looks like its tapered and the long side closest to the driver (you) cannot be identified.
I need to find a HUD fitted car at a Holden dealer and without drawing to much attention bring my 6 inch ruler with me.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does these after market HUD display the posted speed limit. Because for me , the speed limit is the most important item.

Mainly all I want is the speed itself as I find the speedo position in a VF not to be to friendly with its location to look at and to look at the road at the same time. Other cars we own don't have this issue as much as the VF has.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

I totally agree, having the speed limit displayed as well is a great idea.

Here’s my HUD at work.

Disclaimer – the photo was taken by a photographer that was running beside the car and leaned in through the driver’s window to snap the shot.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Disclaimer – the photo was taken by a photographer that was running beside the car and leaned in through the driver’s window to snap the shot.

LOL! I had one of those accompanying me as I drove across the Sydney Harbour Bridge many years ago. Now he works for the 'On The Run' organisation. :)