Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Thanks Matt. I recently did one actual test of fuel burned, fill to fill and compared to my car's trip computer and also found the car's onboard fuel consumption system extremely accurate, so accurate I am happy to take it as gospel because fill to fill can vary by part of a liter of fuel depending when the fuel click off is triggered.

Some thoughts.
All cars used on short trips averaging 25 km's burn a lot of fuel relative to the distance covered.
I have read the coefficient of drag is just 0.26 (which is extremely good and something you'd think someone with half a brain at Holden would include in their marketing) so that explains your reasonable consumption at 135 k.p.h. in the Northern Territory. (Us Kiwi's can only dream of cruising at such speeds)
I have read in a number of car manuals that most engines aren't considered to be fully run in and achieving optimum output and fuel efficiency until at least 10,000 km's so I'd expect your economy will improve.
Confirm low 7's cruising at 85 k.p.h...my wife likes to take it easy...
I just ticked over 5,000 km's and my overall fuel consumption for the entire period is 11.3 L / 100 km's about 90% around Auckland city with mostly very short trips and 10% open road, all using 91 Octane.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Thanks Matt. I recently did one actual test of fuel burned, fill to fill and compared to my car's trip computer and also found the car's onboard fuel consumption system extremely accurate, so accurate I am happy to take it as gospel because fill to fill can vary by part of a liter of fuel depending when the fuel click off is triggered.

Some thoughts.
All cars used on short trips averaging 25 km's burn a lot of fuel relative to the distance covered.
I have read the coefficient of drag is just 0.26 (which is extremely good and something you'd think someone with half a brain at Holden would include in their marketing) so that explains your reasonable consumption at 135 k.p.h. in the Northern Territory. (Us Kiwi's can only dream of cruising at such speeds)
I have read in a number of car manuals that most engines aren't considered to be fully run in and achieving optimum output and fuel efficiency until at least 10,000 km's so I'd expect your economy will improve.
Confirm low 7's cruising at 85 k.p.h...my wife likes to take it easy...
I just ticked over 5,000 km's and my overall fuel consumption for the entire period is 11.3 L / 100 km's about 90% around Auckland city with mostly very short trips and 10% open road, all using 91 Octane.
My E3 Manual Clubsport used 39.6 litres for 380 kms last night at an average of 110 kph. Car has 180000 ks on it and has never missed a beat. And i love it

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Like I said, fuel economy not particularly improved on cars a decade or so older. But then not a lot of point comparing newer and older cars in this way since people buying an RSV would want an adequately fast new car under warranty, where people buying a Clubsport would want something much faster and a little older without a warranty. In my case the first option above has cost me considerably less in the long term, and looks to save me a little bit of maintenance time and money in the intermediate term.

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hi Matt. Enjoyed the thread so far, nice to hear feedback from people who actually own one.
I purchased one last week. Similar to yours I'm guessing - ex holden exec, 14000 km.
The wife has been driving it since we picked it up and today was the first chance I've had to drive it.
I'll admit to being a bit disappointed at the first speed hump i come across, to hear a grinding/graunching noise when the front suspension compressed . Long story short, bushes in the front lower control arms have collapsed according to the local Holden dealer. Now waiting for parts. An inauspicious start after 15 years of Fords.
Other than that, great car. Not much on offer these days for a quick, non SUV wagon.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Thanks for the heads up!

I think mine makes that noise too. Hadn't worried too much about it to date since although its there its not that loud and car still seems to work fine in spite of the occasional noise.

Had a look around today on the Buick TourX owners forum and found a gripe page - there is apparently a GM TSB for this and they can swap out some arms or bushes to fix it. Will make a point of telling the dealer next time it goes in for service.

If something had to need fixing better it shows up early on so Holden has to fix it, rather than me :)

This is the Buick page...

https://buickforums.com/forums/thre...-looking-for-similar-experience.49726/page-11

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hi Matt
The service guy said they had seen a few with the same issue. No complaints about the customer service, they took it on the spot, then sent it home while they source parts.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Interesting...... when I was picking my car up from service back in March I heard 2 Holden staff having a convo about a ZB (a black edition that was parked in customer car park near my car) a customer had brought in complaining about noise in the front suspension. I heard one of them say it was the 2nd one this week.....
Easy fix by the sounds of it then.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My sister had a ‘69 HT Prem with a 3spd 253. We could go from Perth to Margaret River and back on ¾ of a tank.
In the city it gargled fuel.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
Interesting...... when I was picking my car up from service back in March I heard 2 Holden staff having a convo about a ZB (a black edition that was parked in customer car park near my car) a customer had brought in complaining about noise in the front suspension. I heard one of them say it was the 2nd one this week.....
Easy fix by the sounds of it then.
Our RSV was making a noise under heavy braking which I assume was the noise you are referring to. Missus took in first time for service and they said there was no problem. Went back and talked to someone else and they said they were aware of a problem and was fixed within a week. 10000k’s since and noise hasn’t returned.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Missus took in first time for service and they said there was no problem.
That's page 1 of Holden's how to deal with a customer complaint manual. "That sound is normal" or "we can't hear anything ".