Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY 17 or MY 18?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
HSV models raise the question though. The last of their cars were completed in 2018 and compliance plates would not be attached until they were completed. The picture above shows a 2018 model year. Perhaps the VF section should be 2013 to 2018.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
I have always been under the impression that the MY designation is is the same till an update in the series is made. So there really should only be 2 MY dates, the start of production and the series II production start. Everything else is compliance plate dates which is no reflection of the MY?

I could be totally wrong in this but I know for Euro cars and past experience I have had for instance MY12 2013 compliance plated cars and even MY12 2014 plated cars. Unless Australia has a different MY designation standard I am not sure. One of my cars was a MY02 plated 12/01 only due to the fact the MY for this brand starts in August of the previous year.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My local Holden dealer advertises 2018 HSV Senator but the vin plate shows 2017.
It’s very much a standard dealer ploy to advertise the first year registered as the “year” of the car.

I have always been under the impression that the MY designation is is the same till an update in the series is made. So there really should only be 2 MY dates, the start of production and the series II production start. Everything else is compliance plate dates which is no reflection of the MY?

I could be totally wrong in this but I know for Euro cars and past experience I have had for instance MY12 2013 compliance plated cars and even MY12 2014 plated cars. Unless Australia has a different MY designation standard I am not sure. One of my cars was a MY02 plated 12/01 only due to the fact the MY for this brand starts in August of the previous year.
Every manufacturer does it differently. It’s only been the US makers that’ve been doing it since forever; first I noticed anyone doing it here was Subaru in the late 90’s. Before that, an “early build” VC Commodore was the same as a “late build” VC Commodore regardless of year, except there could’ve been any number of running changes across the model.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Build date, complienc date, rego date... the dealers will verbally state whatever will push their adjenda to sell/buy at the higherst/lowest price. But to advertise a vehicle that was built in October 2017, just before Australian manufacture ceased, as a 2018 vehicle is likely missleading and illegal. If you have seen such advertisements you should give ACCC and your state Consumer group a phone call and lodge a complaint as such behaviour needs to be jumped on.

Advertising a later 2017 vehicle as a "MY18", which is more a bullshite marketing term, is i think unethical but manufacturers have played loose with model designators for many years so likely it is viewed as "the buyer should know better".

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
As HSV are classified as a manufacturer and they were still "making" cars into 2018, then perhaps MY18 is unique to them?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
HSV models raise the question though. The last of their cars were completed in 2018 and compliance plates would not be attached until they were completed. The picture above shows a 2018 model year. Perhaps the VF section should be 2013 to 2018.

Assuming HSV didn't complete their build until 2018, their compliance label (inside passenger door opening) would show 2018; however; the body/option plate on the strut tower would show the actual month/year the car was built.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD

Compliance label date has no bearing on the MY. For VF, MY14/15 were 'Series 1' and MY16/17 were 'Series 2'. Each MY will have some level of specification level/change.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As HSV are classified as a manufacturer and they were still "making" cars into 2018, then perhaps MY18 is unique to them?

HSV ceased commodore based production on the 29/12/2017, with the last W1 (coincidentally , the same day mine was built too :)

As I posted above, the jig for fitting the W1 side guard badge says 'MY18 W1', so who really knows...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The VIN tag has all the information relative to the build.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The VIN tag has all the information relative to the build.

Agreed mate, that's the build date, but there is some conjecture as to the MY..