Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need more HP for my car ?

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
your forgetting the most important thing though. Torque the Manual SS is what 530nm of torque vs the sidi 350... Game over.

Also the SS will go 270rwkw with just otr exhaust and tune. thats game over to your blown v6.

I've seen stock VE SS manuals run 13.1 down the quarter mile. dam sight quicker then a 14.6 sv6. remember HP wins arguments torque wins races. as the old saying goes.

thank you this guy nails it

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Did you factor in the expenses on a V8 on things like insurance? Or the fact that some parts for V8's are alot more expensive? Such as blower kits etc? Or maybe if he is a young bloke, the attention from the Police? Even though the 6.0 litres are fuel economical as hell, they still use more fuel than the SV6, maybe he is tight on cash and doesn't have EXTRA cash around to blow on more fuel? I wasn't talking about purchase price, i'm sure he knows the V8's aren't that much more expensive.

Blower on a 6 is easy fixed if the cops don't like it. Just gotta change the belt back to stock so it's not attached to the blower pulley. If he buys an 8 and mister plod doesn't like it (provided he is on his P's of course) he will have to sell the whole car.

But yes, i would agree, if you DO want killer power, buy an 8 (even they aren't "killer power" so to speak). But i'm pretty sure he just wants a bit more go from his V6.

thankyou! Can't agree more.

Das_Niklaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Mate,

CAI and exhaust upped mine by 22 kW at the wheels. You can see it at Townsville Dyno and Tuning, Aitkenvale Auto and Dyno : turbo charging, super charging, engine tuning, it's the car of the month there. No dyno charts but kW and torque info.

Every ****er around has a V8 and yeah, they are gold, but its nice to have something a little different. I've only got the SIDI SV6, and there is a fair bit you can do with the block, because it's a lot stronger than the ecotech. My local mechanic seems to think that you could squeeze up to 400 kW out of the SIDI when ripping the guts out of the motor and replacing them, and sticking a decent blower on it, if so, that would be pretty impressive for a six (but would be absolutely undrivable anywhere but the track)

I've got a few q's for you lot:

Does anyone know anywhere other than di fillipo that sells headers for the SIDI? I really can't be ****ed having a set made.

For you fellas that own the SV6, has anyone noticed that the first gear is just geared to a ratio to be a pain in the arse?

Has anyone had any experience with a decent rip shifter? Second to third in mine is painful and i need to piss the stock shifter off.

Cheers,

Nick

Last edited:

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
I was talking STOCK V8, because they cost more anyway, which leaves you with money to spend on your 6.

If torque wins races, why does the VE **** over the FG?

A blown VE V6 will **** over a stock V8.

LOL no it wont. Impulsesv6 has a blown sv6 he has run a best of 13.5 down the auarter... as i said Stock SS ve's can run 13.1.......

and the blower kit will cost 10-11 grand fitted and tuned if you include exhaust etc.... i believe that figure is what impulse totaled it up to be.

you buy an sidi sv6 and spend 11k on it i'll buy a ve ss and spend 5k on it and we'll see which is faster.

i put the sidi beating the fg down to gearing. remember gearing is the multiplier of torque i'd say holden did a good job on gearing with the sidi sv6.

that said an fg 4l will be easier to drive around town then the sidi with the bigger motor.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've helped a friend with his blown buick, don't see why that comes into it.

If you like your V8, then good for you. To be honest, I would much rather a blown 6 to an 8. If I was going to buy a new car, I wouldn't go past the FG turbo, kicks Holden/HSV's offerings.

go and drive an fg turbo around town, then go and drive a ve ss or an ls3 hsv around town i know which one you'll leave the dealership in.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
LOL no it wont. Impulsesv6 has a blown sv6 he has run a best of 13.5 down the auarter... as i said Stock SS ve's can run 13.1.......

and the blower kit will cost 10-11 grand fitted and tuned if you include exhaust etc.... i believe that figure is what impulse totaled it up to be.

you buy an sidi sv6 and spend 11k on it i'll buy a ve ss and spend 5k on it and we'll see which is faster.

i put the sidi beating the fg down to gearing. remember gearing is the multiplier of torque i'd say holden did a good job on gearing with the sidi sv6.

that said an fg 4l will be easier to drive around town then the sidi with the bigger motor.

thats hardly fair, a VZ firstly, with a less powerful engine. Most ss's won't run 13.1s anyway, just the freak ones. Again not fair comparing that.

By the time you spend extra on insurance etc, the savings are there.

Anyway not getting into this argument, blown 6's are much cooler then v8's imo, but thats just my opinion, everyone see's stuff differently.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
go and drive an fg turbo around town, then go and drive a ve ss or an ls3 hsv around town i know which one you'll leave the dealership in.

I have, and much prefer the ford product, apart from the V8 noise (not that impressive stock anyway) FG turbo is a nicer car. When the turbo isn't active she munches of bugger all fuel. Surprised I've said that, but the xr6t is a really nice car.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have, and much prefer the ford product, apart from the V8 noise (not that impressive stock anyway) FG turbo is a nicer car. When the turbo isn't active she munches of bugger all fuel. Surprised I've said that, but the xr6t is a really nice car.

the average combine fuel usage of the SSV vs the XR6 T is about 1 litre per 100ks and thats an independent evaluation not looking at ford and holden figures. 11.7 for the xr6t and 12.8 for the SSV (SS is lighter so i'd imagine it's closer to the xr6t again)

As for blown v6's how is impulses car not relevant his car is a sv6(190kw) with a supercharger and all the trimmings? i know it's not an sidi but i don't think they would make much more power then the port alloytec blown because they have a very high compression and this would mean lower boost.

i have nothing against the alloytec i love mine to bits but alloytecs killing v8s isn't going to happen.

hell xr6t's killing v8s doesn't happen look at the fastest v8 commodores in aus and the fastest xr6t i think you'll see there a v8 running a bit faster.

if you liked the FG so much when you drove it why did you buy a VE sv6?

Also XR6(6spd auto) n/a vs SV6 sidi as independently tested both have a combined fuel rating of 10.1, 5spd xr is 10.5.

btw i have nothing against modding v6's just read my sv6 thread you'll find my sv6 is modded pretty much to the max. I just don't want to give people high expectations. my sv6 is a great car very fast very enjoyable.