Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need more HP for my car ?

kylej

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive s2
lol anything under 15 litres per hundred is good cause thats wat vr commodore is using on a trip i havnt dare tested it around town

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
I've seen a 173rwkw motor and a 182rwkw SIDI motor. This are fast from factory. Can show a dyno graph also. These are downtuned from 230kw, the camaro's are getting around 247kw with just a tune and filter change. It won't be faster, but they are 100kg or more lighter, so the gap is closing pretty fast when you take that into account.

I'm not comparing it to an earlier model, because you get way too many variables, strictly VE.

your forgetting the most important thing though. Torque the Manual SS is what 530nm of torque vs the sidi 350... Game over.

Also the SS will go 270rwkw with just otr exhaust and tune. thats game over to your blown v6.

I've seen stock VE SS manuals run 13.1 down the quarter mile. dam sight quicker then a 14.6 sv6. remember HP wins arguments torque wins races. as the old saying goes.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Jesus ****ing christ you bunch of sooks, shut up.

He asked how to get performance out of his V6, not his V8 that he doesn't own, and chances are he doesn't want to go and buy a V8 because more than likely, he purchased his SV6 not long ago if it's a VE, so why would he sell a car he has owned for less than 2 years to buy a V8 of the same model. For **** sake.

I have owned a 3.8 Buick (my VP), a Kalmaker realtime tuned 5 litre (VS Senator) and i now own a VY SS ute (LS1 obviously). Whilst my LS1 is the most fun of them all, i had a home made cold air intake (K&N pod in front bar, then i made brackets for 90MM PVC piping into the sealed air box), a Greenfoam tune (which obviously isn't available for a VE, but it's a loose comparison), a 2.5" cat back, Pacemaker extractors, a stage 2 shift kit with thicker bands and a few other bits. And for a 3.8 V6, it was fun. Ask Morton, he had the same deal but with shorter diff gears, he had some fun in that thing. It's a bit different comparing a VE V6 to a VP V6 though, but again, it's a loose comparison.

So with the VE Alloytech making more power than i would have had with those mods on my Buick V6, you have a half decent starting point. Get a tune, aftermarket exhaust, some Pacemaker extractors, maybe tweak the auto a bit if it's an auto, get a decent cold air intake as suggested (which the VE V6 range has a few to choose from, MACE being one of the leaders) and you should be good for a nice daily V6 with a little bit of power to boot.

If you want a HUGE power gain, strap a centrifugal supercharger to it with a full exhaust (headers, cats, cat back exhaust) and an intercooler, and you will have a quick V6. But remember, the VE's are quite heavy cars which restricts you a LITTLE, but putting a supercharger on it, you wouldn't even notice because it will feel like such a HUGE power gain to you, that you would forget all about it :p And if the cops hassle you over it, you only need to change the belt back to stock so it's not connected to the blower pulley (so the blower isn't working) and change the tune back over.

Buy a V8 if funds warrant it, if not, go a blower, exhaust etc. It should see you a good power gain on the ol' V6. Good luck!

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
Hang on you just shot yourself in the foot there,

"Buy a V8 if funds warrant it, if not, go a blower, exhaust etc. It should see you a good power gain on the ol' V6. Good luck!"

Buy the time you spend the cash blowing a v6 you could of just got a V8 and been miles in front to start with. Fair enough if he is looking to clean his v6 up a little go the otr, exhaust and tune but if he is looking for killer power just go a eight. Come on people its not rocket science, im sure you all have a brain.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
A V8 is what, like another 5-8k normally?

Spend that on the V6 and it will beat a stock V8.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
your forgetting the most important thing though. Torque the Manual SS is what 530nm of torque vs the sidi 350... Game over.

Also the SS will go 270rwkw with just otr exhaust and tune. thats game over to your blown v6.

I've seen stock VE SS manuals run 13.1 down the quarter mile. dam sight quicker then a 14.6 sv6. remember HP wins arguments torque wins races. as the old saying goes.

I was talking STOCK V8, because they cost more anyway, which leaves you with money to spend on your 6.

If torque wins races, why does the VE **** over the FG?

A blown VE V6 will **** over a stock V8.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I've helped a friend with his blown buick, don't see why that comes into it.

If you like your V8, then good for you. To be honest, I would much rather a blown 6 to an 8. If I was going to buy a new car, I wouldn't go past the FG turbo, kicks Holden/HSV's offerings.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hang on you just shot yourself in the foot there,

"Buy a V8 if funds warrant it, if not, go a blower, exhaust etc. It should see you a good power gain on the ol' V6. Good luck!"

Buy the time you spend the cash blowing a v6 you could of just got a V8 and been miles in front to start with. Fair enough if he is looking to clean his v6 up a little go the otr, exhaust and tune but if he is looking for killer power just go a eight. Come on people its not rocket science, im sure you all have a brain.

Did you factor in the expenses on a V8 on things like insurance? Or the fact that some parts for V8's are alot more expensive? Such as blower kits etc? Or maybe if he is a young bloke, the attention from the Police? Even though the 6.0 litres are fuel economical as hell, they still use more fuel than the SV6, maybe he is tight on cash and doesn't have EXTRA cash around to blow on more fuel? I wasn't talking about purchase price, i'm sure he knows the V8's aren't that much more expensive.

Blower on a 6 is easy fixed if the cops don't like it. Just gotta change the belt back to stock so it's not attached to the blower pulley. If he buys an 8 and mister plod doesn't like it (provided he is on his P's of course) he will have to sell the whole car.

But yes, i would agree, if you DO want killer power, buy an 8 (even they aren't "killer power" so to speak). But i'm pretty sure he just wants a bit more go from his V6.

sv6on22s

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
ok.
now what if he is a P plater???
you cant have a v8, or supercharger,

i would start with a 3.7 diff gear change, they come standard with a 2.91, thats for fuel economy on the freeway, its rediculous, put a 3.7, and you will be very suprised.
also, run the best fuel, 98 octane.
maybe an exhaust and good intake.

but seriously, at the end of the day, the best mod for your money is a diff gear change.