Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No fuel gauge with check engine light

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SSV Redline Manual Heron White
u have to be able to get to the module to see if its clipped into the base of it, also that the other end is connected to the base of the sender so it can draw from that side, if u can check each sender (with scan tool easiest) then that will show if drivers side is showing empty and the passenger side is full or 3/4 which when put together will be about half full
thanks. So off it goes back to Holden then. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s something like this…leaving something off.
Especially after they left the exhaust flanges loose. I’ll let you know what happens.
Also wondering what my options are and how hard I should push for some compensation for being ffff around.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Also wondering what my options are and how hard I should push for some compensation for being ffff around.
Wish there were great options that i could pass on but the only one that comes to mind is to get a horse and buggy. At least you’d know the horse will show you some loyalty :p

Jokes aside, if I ever had to drop the tank for any reason, I’d be adding two access ports to the body under the rear seat. That way, any future access to the pump and/or second gauge would mean it’d be an easy job you can do yourself.

Maybe the compensation is for them to add the access ports but then again if they couldn't do the initial job correctly one has to question whether you’d be able to trust them with cutting holes in the car body :oops: that would be something I’d want to do myself, so really, I’ve got nothing :p:rolleyes:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
thanks. So off it goes back to Holden then. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s something like this…leaving something off.
Especially after they left the exhaust flanges loose. I’ll let you know what happens.
if u can avoid holden would be best as im not sure they can check to that level (knowledge of there own testing equipment and ability) if u can see someone with tuning software like hptuners then i know they can see the fuel sender voltage for each side and that voltage would represent a level, wont be any credits needed just for them to use the scanner so just as to what they would charge but could be cheaper then being stuffed around by holden and then if u know that is the case and they fitted the sender then u know that it was there issue and should be fixed by them no charge

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
FFS…So Holden are stating to me that it’s fuel pump failure caused by dirty fuel.
They dropped the tank originally to replace the fuel sender! At this stage they can’t tell me if they replaced the fuel or not when doing so. They haven't analysed the fuel, just observe the pump and tank.
I have receipts from my last fill. I always use same BP servo using 98.

They want to replace the pump, filters, injectors and spark plugs and are putting in a warranty claim to Holden.
This doesn’t make sense to me?!?

This whole thing sounds so dodgy that I wouldn’t believe if it wasn’t happening to me.

Where is this going to stop…all this damage to a car that’s now a collector caused by pure incompetence.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
FFS…So Holden are stating to me that it’s fuel pump failure caused by dirty fuel.
They dropped the tank originally to replace the fuel sender! At this stage they can’t tell me if they replaced the fuel or not when doing so. They haven't analysed the fuel, just observe the pump and tank.
I have receipts from my last fill. I always use same BP servo using 98.

They want to replace the pump, filters, injectors and spark plugs and are putting in a warranty claim to Holden.
This doesn’t make sense to me?!?

This whole thing sounds so dodgy that I wouldn’t believe if it wasn’t happening to me.

Where is this going to stop…all this damage to a car that’s now a collector caused by pure incompetence.
Ask to see the fuel pump.
Not an 'uncommon' failure on VE/VF's. The harness connector on the pump is barely suitable for the current draw.
Connection heats up, creates a high resistance, heats further, then the connection distorts/melts. Then failure...
Sometimes requires a new pump, and sometimes a new harness to the FPCM as well.

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ask to see the fuel pump.
Not an 'uncommon' failure on VE/VF's. The harness connector on the pump is barely suitable for the current draw.
Connection heats up, creates a high resistance, heats further, then the connection distorts/melts. Then failure...
Sometimes requires a new pump, and sometimes a new harness to the FPCM as well.
Thanks, so you’re saying that the electrical connections on the pump itself would/could show signs of overheating?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks, so you’re saying that the electrical connections on the pump itself would/could show signs of overheating?
Yes, it will be noticeable!
If your search the forum, there will be a few pics around.
The plastic will be distorted, and the pins/sockets will look burnt.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
make sure they check both fuel senders as replacing one with the module and other is faulty then u still have an issue and if they are taking the tank out its a much easier item to replace at that time also

SSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
I still don’t buy it…I‘m calling bullshit on their diagnosis. I don’t understand how the dealer is going to Holden for a warranty claim if it’s dirty fuel. They put the bad fuel in! When I spoke with them, they were pretty vague about the whole thing. I’m just worried that now they will f$#k something else when replacing everything else. So mad.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I still don’t buy it…I‘m calling bullshit on their diagnosis. I don’t understand how the dealer is going to Holden for a warranty claim if it’s dirty fuel. They put the bad fuel in! When I spoke with them, they were pretty vague about the whole thing. I’m just worried that now they will f$#k something else when replacing everything else. So mad.
Dirty fuel isn't uncommon. I've had it occur twice but luckily it was in my non Holden daily which is easy to pull the pump out and look into the tank, also easy peasy to remove injectors and DIY clean them. Still it was a PITA to have occur :mad:

But for the dealer to say it's dirty fuel would require that they've taken a representative fuel sample from the vehicle's tank and then checked for any layering or separation of different liquids within the sample, checked for any excessive solids within (the pump sock filter can cope with some rubbish within the fuel but eventually will clag up) and also do a water and ethanol test (though ethanol shouldn't be an issue for e85 capable vehicles but can cause issues in normal vehicles if >> 10%).

In a VF you can't just look into the tank because Holden removed the access hatch under the rear seat just above the fuel pump. So i'm not sure what they've done and "just observe the pump and tank" doesn't provide details.

However, if they determine it's contaminated fuel they should be saying you need to drain all fuel from the tank and use a cleaning fluid to flush the tank clean before replacing the fuel pump and filter. Doing such requires the tank be dropped from the vehicle. Draining fuel also requires they also charge you a disposal fee (which costs more than the fuel itself). But again, to me it's not clear what they've done and what they are doing though they sound dodgy...

In any case, I don't understand the logic that they blame the problem on contaminated fuel and then want to put in a warranty claim to presumably cheat Holden? Guess that says all about their honesty.

May be leave it with them to see what Holden will say but i'd have problems with them doing further work. May be if Holden say they'll repair it, have it taken to another deealer?

As @lmoengnr said, fuel pumps can fail due to an overheated connector pin which is a known defect within VF's . If that's the cause it must be repaired under statutory or factory warranty or good will (whichever way Holden wants to spin it) since it's a known defect. Whether that's your problem, a quick look would suffice but with no access hatch thats a PITA to do...

Here's one pic of the burnt connector

fuel pump connector.jpg

As i said, I've had 2 fuel contaminations. One was handled through car insurance who paid for the tank to be emptied and flushed and new pump and sock filter provided along with the pipes and injectors flushed. I paid no excess since i had all fuel receipts from teh one petrol station going back for years and stated that that petrol station did malicious damage to my car. The other case I just flushed the tank, pipework and injectors myself as it was the easier road... However, I may need a new O2 sensor as fuel consumption has been a little worse since that second contamination.

Good luck with it all.