Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

Mr540

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive S1
Ive had my Ps for over a year now, and sure the occasional speeding, like anyone, I got pulled over the other day because some faggot cop couldnt see my plates and started questioning about my tints, being to dark, when they arnt even darkest legal tint, So I proved him wrong by calling the guys who did my tint, and he "apologised" and told me to drive safe. W*nker

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
im a p-plater and i am constantly getting pulled over for rbt's and cops wanting to check over my vk, although i thought it would stop when i started driving the nova...but it didnt, i had been in it for 2 days then a cop pulls me over for rbt, ive also been followed around for a while by cops on a couple of occasions, its not the greatest feeling because its like they are waiting for me to do something wrong, im now at the stage where im getting used to it and cant wait for the next few months to be over and ill be off my p's

i was talking to mum about it 1 day and she said she had only been pulled over once in her life for rbt after a new years eve party in our town (they were pulling every1 over), dad twice, once for rbt, and another time because he was speeding. yet i expect to be pulled over every couple of weeks because im a p-plater

of course they target us, and as said before im sure its because of the few that make a bad name for us all, ive also seen plenty of fully licenced drivers do quite stupid stuff

oh well, ive only got a few months left

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Never been pulled over in the VK, got glared at the night I picked it up from the owner by a police car accross an intersection, thought it was a sign of things to come.

Although I was tailgated by one who just came off the eastern freeway, expected to get pulled over but he split at the next set of lights. It sucks that P platers are given a bad name by some idiots.

Mr540

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive S1
Theres more idiots than people think, Not everyone is innocent. Sure its easy to say I dont do this and I dont do that, but more than not I see alot of people stuffing around. Not just P platers but you get my drift.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yeh gunna say im a p plater and never been pulled over in the vu except for rbt's (which don't count coz they were doing everyone)...p-plates are useless in wa only thing we dont have that someone witha full license has is that we can only blow 0.02% whereas normal people can blow 0.05%.

where in aus are p-platers only allowed to do 100? i was pretty sure that was only for L-platers....

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
I have never been pulled over except for when I had my parkers on instead of my lights. And when I got caught speeding. That was all when I first got my P's. I have a lowered but legal wagon with 18s on it. It looks good but still looks neat. It is all legal and I drive normally so Cops dont target me.

I follow the rules and have to put up with having one point on my liscence until Im 20 (currently 18 and a half). I was just 17 when I got the speeding fine that took three points and extended y Ps. So i will have to put up with 1 point for three years with tougher rules than ever for P platers. I dont count myself as lucky so im always afraid that the few times I accidently go 5 or more ks over the limit I am going to get caught. Even something very minor could cause me to lose my liscence. I nearly lost it for not wearing a helmet on my bike one day. There is a need for P plates and tough rules but I wouldlike to see a change in the points system for cases like mine. Lets face it, EVERYONE breaks a rule at some point in time. I just hope I wont be unlucky enough to be caught when that happens.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
FFS... stay on bloody topic people. Fcuk. Can we not go one GOOD P plater thread woihtout this turning into a **** fight about how crap P platers are.

P Plates are pointless. Probationary licences are not. The theory behind having them works wonders. Police are able to inforce corrective measures in the early stages of driving to help curb bad driving and promote healthy habits. They provide means for other "more experienced" drivers to allow caution when driving near "not so experienced" drivers. The theory is GREAT! and it works....however, the theory for communisim works too for fcuks sake.... in practise its ****.

P plates have turned into a means of isolating young drivers. The minority has gradually ruined it for the majority and now police has sterotyped the p-plater community. Im not debating the fact that p-platers are not bad drivers. Im not saying there good or bad. We're still learning... open licenced drivers are still learning. HOWEVER... i dont believe that the plates are nessary. They dont help anybody other than police in finding a young driver to rape (pick on, defect, yell at blah blah blah)

My theory unfortantually does not apply to all states and i acknowledge this however i surmise that maybe a differnt sticker system may be useful in differenciating between the porbationary and open licenced.

I believe that once you have been deemed able to drive on the roads by your slef... you should be treated that way. No segregation other than that of having a different licence with harsher penalties to, again, help curb bad behaviour into safe driving.

On a side note. Why not hav harsher penalties to the more expericed drivers? I mean they are so expericed as said so they should know better. It makes more sence to punish those that know and still make mistakes than those which are just learning. THink about it.

Happy Motoring.

aZk.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
where in aus are p-platers only allowed to do 100? i was pretty sure that was only for L-platers....

i think its only in wa and nt that p-platers arent limited to 100

here in sa l-platers are limited to 80

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
yeh gunna say im a p plater and never been pulled over in the vu except for rbt's (which don't count coz they were doing everyone)...p-plates are useless in wa only thing we dont have that someone witha full license has is that we can only blow 0.02% whereas normal people can blow 0.05%.

nsw- red p plates- 90 max speed limit
green p plates- 100max speed limit

you think 0.02 is harsh ,nsw its 0.00 nothing! fully licenced drivers is 0.05. That imho is so wrong, I mena seriously p platers can't even take some medicine, use some mouthwash or have a bit of nannas fruitcake without running the risk of getting done dui.