Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rough starting VF L77

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
What fuel are you using? My L77 is harder to start after a day than yours seems to be. But I am using E85 from United. It starts easily on 98 and also on the Caltex Flex fuel (when they had it) but I think that was less than 85% ethanol. It also starts easily after less than a day.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
What fuel are you using? My L77 is harder to start after a day than yours seems to be. But I am using E85 from United. It starts easily on 98 and also on the Caltex Flex fuel (when they had it) but I think that was less than 85% ethanol. It also starts easily after less than a day.
I only use Caltex 98 as it is tuned but it started 3 months from new then went away after Holden swapped out the injectors as they failed but it seemed to not do it after that now 30000ks later it has started again but Holden tells me it didn’t start rough for them so they letting it sit for 2 days to try again

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
I only use Caltex 98 as it is tuned but it started 3 months from new then went away after Holden swapped out the injectors as they failed but it seemed to not do it after that now 30000ks later it has started again but Holden tells me it didn’t start rough for them so they letting it sit for 2 days to try again
AHH! I thought mine had lifter problems, went to holden this morning for them to listen to it, and they said its normal other than it might have an air leak or belt may needs tighten.. L77 problems! I feel on the whole there a good engine otherwise, nothing is without its flaws.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Can anyone explain why my car does this when sitting for 2 days it also does this when parked over night but not as bad. It does not have a cam upgrade either

My L77 had similar starting issues when using 98 but never has a problem running on 95.

There is a theory that 98 fuel contains a % of ethanol to increase the RON and that % confuses the flex fuel sensor into sending more fuel to the motor than is needed (the engine needs more fuel when using E85 than traditional fuels) until it works out it isn't actually seeing E85.

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
AHH! I thought mine had lifter problems, went to holden this morning for them to listen to it, and they said its normal other than it might have an air leak or belt may needs tighten.. L77 problems! I feel on the whole there a good engine otherwise, nothing is without its flaws.
Yeah the L77 is a tappy motor. But with mine doesn’t explain why it went away for a year and a half and then starting issue came back

Craft1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SS ute
My L77 had similar starting issues when using 98 but never has a problem running on 95.

There is a theory that 98 fuel contains a % of ethanol to increase the RON and that % confuses the flex fuel sensor into sending more fuel to the motor than is needed (the engine needs more fuel when using E85 than traditional fuels) until it works out it isn't actually seeing E85.
Makes sense but mine is tuned for 98 only also it started 3 months from new until Holden swapped injectors lasted year and a half and 30000ks and now starting issue is back

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Anthony121 said in this post that his injectors were changed and he was told they’d fail again. In a later post he also said they were going to fit LSA injectors to all (presumably LS3?) cars with the injector problem but didn’t have any for him so used the old part number. Later again he said his car runs rough and at service he would have his short term fuel trim cleared which would resolve it for a while.

whether any of this is relevant to L77 I don’t know but others may be able to chime in ;)