Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SELL,SELL,SELL after 1st March...SOLD,SOLD,SOLD?????

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
As my previous employer discovered. I was working 'when required' but when I turned 70, his Workers Comp Insurance would have increased just to have me on the payroll occasionally.

Agreed...I would love to depart from this world with my beloved VF Sedan and my VE ute beside me....my wife has other ideas...that it will be in a pine box supplied by Benson and Hedges.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I only pay $55 a year for the now revamped Westpac Altitude Mastercard....I had the GM card as soon as it was issued way back in the good old days...and they kept badgering me to increase the credit limit...which I did....hence the $18,500 limit...when I had secured employment...however when they changed me over to the Mastercard....they indicated that the Annual Fee would remain at $55 a year....great news....as credit card Annual Fees can range up to hundreds of dollars these days.

Now that I work for the Commonwealth Government ( Age Pension Hi Hi ) there would be no way that any Credit Company would give you $18,500 credit limit these days when you are unemployed and no one wishes to hire you...you now become a liability to be employed....even though I am as strong as the malee bull with no medical complaints.
I might be paying higher fees because the Mrs & I have the Black Altitude Mastercard with a $25k limit??...black always costs more for some silly reason :rolleyes: . It was 12mths ago that Westpac wrote to me saying that in Oct 2019 the annual fee was going to $195 and the American Express card that had been a no cost extra for 7 or 8 yrs was being dropped (or I could pay more again to keep it...no thanks!..but I did used to use the Amex for groceries or wherever else it was accepted because it gave me double the points with no extra surcharges which helped greatly in building the 150k points for the next Commodore).

Limits are a crazy thing...when I first started work in the late 70s I got a Westpac bankcard and it had about a $6or7k limit from memory. When I got married and we bought our first home in the early 80s I applied to have the limit increased just in case we needed it for furniture etc but always with the intention of paying it off at the end of the month. Westpac knocked us back but then about 3yrs later they increased it to around $18k without any request from us and then again to $25k around the turn of the century...again a notification that they were increasing the limit just arrived in the mail one day.

In 40yrs of credit cards we paid interest on just one month about 10yrs ago....because silly me paid the opening balance instead of the higher closing balance that month and didn’t realise my error until I saw interest charges of about $80 on the next month’s statement...grrr:mad:
Credit cards are very handy for free short term credit if you’re disciplined...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I might be paying higher fees because the Mrs & I have the Black Altitude Mastercard with a $25k limit??...black always costs more for some silly reason :rolleyes: . It was 12mths ago that Westpac wrote to me saying that in Oct 2019 the annual fee was going to $195 and the American Express card that had been a no cost extra for 7 or 8 yrs was being dropped (or I could pay more again to keep it...no thanks!..but I did used to use the Amex for groceries or wherever else it was accepted because it gave me double the points with no extra surcharges which helped greatly in building the 150k points for the next Commodore).

Limits are a crazy thing...when I first started work in the late 70s I got a Westpac bankcard and it had about a $6or7k limit from memory. When I got married and we bought our first home in the early 80s I applied to have the limit increased just in case we needed it for furniture etc but always with the intention of paying it off at the end of the month. Westpac knocked us back but then about 3yrs later they increased it to around $18k without any request from us and then again to $25k around the turn of the century...again a notification that they were increasing the limit just arrived in the mail one day.

In 40yrs of credit cards we paid interest on just one month about 10yrs ago....because silly me paid the opening balance instead of the higher closing balance that month and didn’t realise my error until I saw interest charges of about $80 on the next month’s statement...grrr:mad:
Credit cards are very handy for free short term credit if you’re disciplined...

They work out great for people that get paid monthly. :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Keen to hear your thoughts on old mate's analysis below re Holden 'firesale'

john is usually on the mark with his videos and the best part is he is not governed by the "advertising revenue" that most other automotive journalists are governed by so he can say what he likes about a brand or model.
for most holdens he is right, the resale on them will be shocking so if you buy one drive it into the ground to maximize the value from it.

the best thing most people can do is get out of anything holden asap unless you have some sort of limited edition commodore or one of the last v8's and you are willing to store it for 30 years.
you will see plenty of news articles about how holdens will sky rocket in price and most of them are bullshit clickbait, most holdens will devalue hard with only a few going up in price in the next few years.
a lot of those articles are based on 1 or 2 ads being placed in carsales with absolutely stupid asking prices but it is exactly that "asking price", i could list my vf ssv for 1 million dollars but it does not mean it is worth that.

the only "modern" holden that will see a gain over the decades will be the commodores, the rest are all trash and will end up on the scrapheap.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
the best thing most people can do is get out of anything holden asap unless you have some sort of limited edition commodore or one of the last v8's and you are willing to store it for 30 years.
you will see plenty of news articles about how holdens will sky rocket in price and most of them are bullshit clickbait, most holdens will devalue hard with only a few going up in price in the next few years.

This is ridiculous advice. Nobody buys a car as an investment, hoping to profit when it comes time to sell.
Most people buy cars as basic transport to get from a to b. For someone who has a new or near new mainstream Holden, the worst thing they can do is sell it now, as at this point they will be taking the biggest depreciation hit. They are better off keeping it for 5-10 years and getting the most use out of it they can.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the worst thing they can do is sell it now, as at this point they will be taking the biggest depreciation hit. They are better off keeping it for 5-10 years and getting the most use out of it they can.

i take it you have trouble reading so i will bold it for you "the resale on them will be shocking so if you buy one drive it into the ground to maximize the value from it."
you called it ridiculous then repeated what i said.

also everyone that purchases a vehicle should take into account the resale value unless you are not looking to buy another vehicle in x amount of years using the old vehicle as a trade in.

ignoring the resale would be "ridiculous"

selling your say colorado in 1~2 years time you will take a bigger financial hit than you will today because the prices on colorados will drop soon making your second hand one worth a lot less ;)

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
i take it you have trouble reading so i will bold it for you "the resale on them will be shocking so if you buy one drive it into the ground to maximize the value from it."
you called it ridiculous then repeated what i said.

also everyone that purchases a vehicle should take into account the resale value unless you are not looking to buy another vehicle in x amount of years using the old vehicle as a trade in.

ignoring the resale would be "ridiculous"

selling your say colorado in 1~2 years time you will take a bigger financial hit than you will today because the prices on colorados will drop soon making your second hand one worth a lot less ;)

Yes I missed that bit, so then why do you completely contradict yourself within a couple of paragraphs?