Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI SV6 SERIES I - excessive engine oil consumption

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
2 weeks till i get the new PCV and hose kit installed, I also have 3 trips to Canberra and one to Newcastle so that will be a good test to see if its fixed (2,000km in 2 weeks)

Great! Hopefully that fixes it. Please update how it goes because I need this done on my car as well :)

'11camarols

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Camaro 3.6L
I am having the same oil issue with my 3.6L camaro. I have always burned through alot of oil and i actually just a few days ago started an Oil consumption test with my dealer. on my last oil change i went 4k miles ( dont know how many klm that is lol) and i was a no read on the dipstick. ive done some research and alot of people or having this issues with the 3.6l On camaro5 forum a few guys had engines blow cause of it. in an extreme case some of them are saying something about the oil burns and foams up weaking the timing chain and that goes or it makes it throw a bearing or rod.

whats confusing to me is if its a problem that will lead to engine failure or if its normal cause i was also hearing that GM says under normal driving conditions its okay in the 3.6l to burn through 1 quart every 2k miles...which i think is crazy it should burn any at all lol

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Called two service centers, their computer says the pcv is non serviceable and they can only order in a new pipe to air intake and the small elbow fitting onto the rocker cover.. Now I'm stuck :/

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
I rang Holden on Friday to book my car in for the Service bulletin, they want to do one more oil consumption test, then do the recall. He sounded very vague when questioned to when the parts are arriving, like the service bulletin didn't exist even though he told me about it?

Will see when i take the car back to do it tomorrow.

Also notice when i rev the car out like onto a freeway on ramp, i see the smoke out the back as it gets close to redline.

Shmick vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz s ute.
My ve series 2 sv6 ute is doing the same thing it has 12,000k atm and has been using abit over 3litres per 5,000ks . So i need to top it up twice in between my services wich i do every 5000ks . Going to talk to the dealer and mention im not the only one having this problem and its a pain in the arse since im using royal purple its costing me 20 bucks per litre i have to top up since its $100 for 5 litres -.-

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
I rang Holden on Friday to book my car in for the Service bulletin, they want to do one more oil consumption test, then do the recall. He sounded very vague when questioned to when the parts are arriving, like the service bulletin didn't exist even though he told me about it?

Will see when i take the car back to do it tomorrow.

Also notice when i rev the car out like onto a freeway on ramp, i see the smoke out the back as it gets close to redline.

I called your service center and they didnt know where the PCV Valve is lol. Goodluck!

I read on the net (could only find one source) thats its a part of the Rocker Cover, so i'm going to remove the Rocker Cover, clean the PCV with brake cleaner and see how its goes.

On average the car takes 7L of oil when filling it up, and by the time of the next service (5000-7500km) I have used the remaining 3L of oil that I had left over.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Holden will tell you it's normal so they don't have to fix it. I have a friend who had a VR that used a lot of oil. Holden told him it was normal ands to go away so he had it emmission tested and using the amount of oil it did (which Holden said was normal) it failed to meet the emmission requirements required hence un roadworthy so after telling holden this they had to fix the engine. If it was my car I'd be going down this track son't waste yourt time arguing with Holden or a dealership until you have evidence the car is defective due to the high level of hydrocarbons in the exhaust.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
is there a techline fix for this issue?

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
ok, this may sound stupid but i just want confirmation, the black soot that comes out of the exhaust when you rev the car up towards the redline is this unburnt fuel or oil? and is this normal?, the reason why i asked is that when i checked the oil it was low and the car has 12k kms, and just doing some checking, it may be that when i checked the oil and my old driveway it wasn't really level but the drive way im on now is.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Looks like gen 3's revisited :/