Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Single best thing you love about your VF

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
To be honest so many car companies share technology and platforms there can hardly be any one group or country of origin that can lay claim to being a leader in innovation.

I think manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz would totally disagree with you.

You only have to look at their top end cars to see prove of it.

The innovations in these types of cars takes about 10 years to filter down to the mid to low price range mass manufacturers.

Than for more conclusive prove look into what the future may bring and again it will be the same group of manufacturers that are usually pushing the envelope and the rest play catch up.

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
The sleeper element of the Calais V8 has been touched on already and that's what I love about mine as well.

It's so quiet, comfortable, refined, and oh-so sensible when commuting with the family. But then when the time and place is right the inner mongrel is always lurking and ready for a bit of fun.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Daimler Mercedes Benz.
Daimler + Chrysler (now Fiat Chrysler), Daimler + Tesla, Daimler + Google and most recently Daimler + Nissan + Renault.
Car companies create so many strategic partnerships it's like Game of Thrones.
Most new technology comes from F1 where they really push the envelope.

I think manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz would totally disagree with you.

You only have to look at their top end cars to see prove of it.

The innovations in these types of cars takes about 10 years to filter down to the mid to low price range mass manufacturers.

Than for more conclusive prove look into what the future may bring and again it will be the same group of manufacturers that are usually pushing the envelope and the rest play catch up.

Ralph

Reaction score
Remote Start is good fun... my 3 year old get start a smile when he starts my car.

I have an auto (with an exhaust added). I LOVE THE DOWNSHIFT... give it some stick 1...2....3....maybe hit 4..... come up to the lights or roundabout.... 3......2.... love the crackle and pop ...

Long Tall Tex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
:beer chug:What do I love about my VF "EVERYTHING" especially that it will be an AUSSIE Icon made in Australia, instead of a SUV made in Korea or somewhere.
I have an SS in Red Hot colour & I love it, it is the best car I've ever owned.
One day some years down the track it will turn heads, and some aussies will wonder why they never bought one when they had the chance.
If Aussies used their brains and continued buying Australian built cars we would still have Australian car industry.
Cheers Long Tall Tex.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Daimler Mercedes Benz.
Daimler + Chrysler (now Fiat Chrysler), Daimler + Tesla, Daimler + Google and most recently Daimler + Nissan + Renault.
Car companies create so many strategic partnerships it's like Game of Thrones.
Most new technology comes from F1 where they really push the envelope.

At the risk of pushing off topic that’s not entirely correct.
You’re confusing ownership or part ownership for partnerships involving intellectual property sharing which is rarely the case in the Daimler AG group of companies and more so for Mercedes-Benz who relentlessly protects their property.
In some cases there is a business sale of some hardware.

Daimler AG dropped Chrysler like a hot potato when they realised what an awful fit it was to their business model.
They couldn’t sell it quick or cheap enough and just wanted to be rid of the mess.
And even during the Daimler ownership period Mercedes would only allow Chrysler access to their old tech.
For example the owners of ML Class Benz’s from 15 years ago will notice many similarities in the interiors of the newer Jeeps plus the cars being based on the old Mercedes designed chassis, they were never given access to the newer stuff.
Mercedes has never been willing to share much of its current or up and coming tech.

Mercedes-Benz main innovation focus for many years has been on safety and in particular the avoidance of accidents.
Mercedes has long been an opponent of the NCAP type safety ratings as they say it gives little credit to manufactures that fill their vehicles chock-a-block with avoidance systems which don’t rate any better than manufacturers who offer very little.
They are on record saying when it comes to NCAP you want to hope the car has an accident in the exact same spot where the test is carried out as many cars are only built to pass in those areas and they also say that when you have an accident at 100km or more you are in the hands of God as no vehicle can save you.
The cabin may retain complete integrity but the occupants will be dead because their internal organs are turned to mush from the sudden stop.

There are other manufacturers who push the envelope like Mercedes but many others are just also-rans who years after the fact ride on the back of the true innovators.

Here’s some of the systems Louis Hamilton has been using in F1 for years. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i always thought that you get to the bonus round if you hit the pedestrian with the headphone as long as his shoes and headphones come off:confused:

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Hmm.

I thought the ML Merc from 15 years ago was ladder on frame until they adopted the Jeep Grand Cherokee's unibody design (which harkens back to the Jeep's American Motors days)?

I know definetly that the Chrysler Crossfire, the commercial Sprint vans and LX based sedans (300 and Dodge Charger) are all on the Merc frame.

As for F1 racing trickle down this is a good write up:
https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/special-feature/f1-trickle-down-effect.html

And of course, F1 has been very safety conscious sport despite the few deaths in the past few years.

Anyways, Merc's silver arrows are doing great considering they're relatively new kids on the block.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
I stepped up from a VE SSV to a VFII Redline, totally different animals and seriously loving it.
Obviously, the handling, the noise and that beautiful free running LS3 always bring out a smile but for daily driving on crowded city motorways or when the NZ cops are doing one of their stupid little "4km over" revenue collecting blitzes, I have come to love the heads up display.
When I first got the car I thought that the HUD was just a silly toy but now I hate driving cars that don't have it.