Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I'm still of the opinion that your shaft has been ever so slightly colapsed as there is a plastic pin halfway down the shaft that holds the inner and outer sections at the correct length and when too much pressure is placed on the upper section (steering wheel) the shaft will sheer that plastic pin and alow the upper shaft to move towards the dash. I feel your pin may be slightly deformed but not totally sheered.

Just my POV.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I measured the outer shaft and it's within spec.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm still of the opinion that your shaft has been ever so slightly colapsed as there is a plastic pin halfway down the shaft that holds the inner and outer sections at the correct length and when too much pressure is placed on the upper section (steering wheel) the shaft will sheer that plastic pin and alow the upper shaft to move towards the dash. I feel your pin may be slightly deformed but not totally sheered.

Just my POV.
Can I see the pin from underneath?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I feel the issue can not be the outer column. If I was in any further the cover for the shift dial wouldn't go on.

20200517_143632_resized.jpg

What I can't work out is why it was fine until I removed the wheel and tried refitting it today. Suddenly it's not going back together?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue is the centre shaft has slipped down. I just don't have any way of crawling under as I have no ramps or stands. Not going to risk the POS scissor jack that is pretty much stripped.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nup I was wrong. I have relaxed the clamp at the rack and it still won't come up far enough. I need about another 5-7mm to fit the spring on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
******* **** of a thing. I can not work out why it the shaft is suddenly too short. I merely pulled the wheel off fitted the retainer bush and slid the wheel back on and now for no ******* reason the bastard is not going back on. It just makes no sense....... It should be a simple 15 min job.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For me, they are never a 15 minute job, couple of days?
Murphy has to have some input (you know, Murphys law?)
Well Murphy can **** off right now.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have NFI what changed from last weekend when it all went back together after trying for hours with the spring in the wrong spot but it was fine. I fit the bush so as to protect the bearing from accidentally dislodging and now the shaft is suddenly too short, it makes no sense.