Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strut top mount how to check if failing

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
What top mount bearing to get? Original from Holden i got quoted $94 each, KYB in Repco $67 each, Ebay $29 for a pair! I just want standard ride, car is standard. Is there really a difference between these top mount bearings? I know good bearings cost more in the past but...it's now 2020...surely the metal bearings and rubber that make up these top mounts are cheap now and will last 10 years?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
McKay strut bush are decent. Buy cheap and the bearings will fail in under 12 months.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Since i'm going with KYB struts and shocks, I went with KYB top mounts and bearings, under $100 for a pair.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The gap shows that the original setup height has now collapsed, probably mounts and bearings, due 10 yrs ago.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Such an easy way to tell it's buggered! I've got KYB on the way, top mounts, struts and rear shocks (because the shocks are also 16 years old and the sleeve is rattling every time the car goes over bumps...been doing that for 4 years and i only realised it was the shock the other day when i adjusted handbrake and took shock off to look at the rotor). Do i need the KYB bumper and boot kit, so far the boot looks ok visually, although i didn't see the current bump stop yet?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I always reuse boots unless they're falling to pieces. You will notice a big improvement with your new setup!

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Should be great! This old setup has probably been causing other wear and tear since those bearings went years ago and must have dropped the front a bit. The tail shaft centre bearing also gone many years ago; i wonder if that was not helped by those top mounts- can feel a mild jolt from the back when accelerating.
Would i need to grease any parts on the front when i put this suspension back together? (i didn't see any mention in the Haynes manual).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Not much needs greasing on a Holden made since the 90s.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Should be great! This old setup has probably been causing other wear and tear since those bearings went years ago and must have dropped the front a bit. The tail shaft centre bearing also gone many years ago; i wonder if that was not helped by those top mounts- can feel a mild jolt from the back when accelerating.
Would i need to grease any parts on the front when i put this suspension back together? (i didn't see any mention in the Haynes manual).

Only urethane strut tops require initial greasing, so they can move slightly without squeaking.