Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
thanks heaps killingwithasmile !!! and this doesn't include the parts that mine mechanic has replaced. I'm guessing to fix the root cause of this issue, steering rack need replacing. Hope this work order help banjo79.
Hmm, in the USA, as part of the recall on this issue, GM must have a process in place to handle refunds for people having spent $$ tried to fix GM's stuff up.

So maybe you need to get the steering issue/recall resolved under warranty. Then you can hit GMH for the cost you spent with your mechanics trying to resolve this issue prior to GMH correcting it under warranty (as GMH didn't provide TSB/Recall notices to warn dealers/mechanics of this serious safety concern. Maybe the ACCC GM undertaking could help with this claim back, as could ACL.

In the last few months, GMH has proven to be a real disapointment when reading of such safety issues that should have been handled via recall. Then it got worse reading about the GMH flip/flop going from 'no airbag recalls' as their vehicles are not impacted to '300,000 vehicles impacted by the GM mandatory recall'. And it's likely to rise :eek:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Mrs took the call. Good, as she's more diplomatic and articulate when the stress rises.........However she still got nowhere. Was told "Team Leader" was not available. So lots of back and forth with customer care. Team leader will return call tomorrow. They had contacted our local Holden dealership beforehand and was told by them basically "come back when you got a code". Unbelievably the women on the phone told my partner that "she grew up with cars without power steering and could assure the Mrs that it wasn't a dangerous situation!!!" The Mrs told her she excuses her ignorance, informed her she to grew up without power steering then went on to explain what it would be like to have power steering fail around a bend at 100 with oncoming traffic etc...We have voice record of the entire conversation for future comic relief. Life was not meant to be easy.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hm, to have a manufacturer/dealer recommend you drive around a dangerous vehicle to trouble shoot a known issue is just mind boggling.

That is, to have you drive around and risk the life of yourself and other road users in the hope that the power steering cuts out and a fault code is logged, just so the dealer service department can check a code in the safety of their workshop, is simply beyond belief, on multiple fronts...

So if you haven't already done so, it might be worth reading the 'ACCC undertaking' where Holden has agreed not to represent that Holden has the discretion to determine a remedy. Put another way, Holden had undertaken to follow the law which can only mean that if you choose a refund for a major fault, they can't object. May be Holden can try and argue whether the issue you have experianced is a major or minor fault but that's all they can do. They can't force you to accept a repair when you want a refund for a major fault and even blind Fredy would understand an intermittent failling power steering can only be considered a major fault and a huge safety concern.

So i'd give each of DOTARS, the ACCC and your State Consumer Affairs body another round of calls and update them as to Holdens response. ACCC may especially be interested in Holdens responce, as what they said to you indicates they seem not to be following their undertaking to ACCC. Possibly suggest to ACCC that they could use your situation as a test to determine how well Holden follows the law and their undertaking to ACCC... Between ACCC and Consumer Affairs, they should be able to guide you in your claim to get your remedy of choice and how to document and request it.

Sadly, Holden Customer Care will promise to call back but is they usually fail to deliver on such promises. As such, i'd say it may be time to formally place your demands on Holden in writing.

So with ACCC/CA guidance, document all your contacts with the dealer/Holden, date & time, and their unacceptable responces to this major fault you have experianced with your vehicle to date. State your chosen remedy is a full refund of purchase price as afforded within the ACL. Give them one week to respond to your remedy.

If the week has come and gone, then consider lodging a claim with the small claims court in your state (small cost to do so) but hopefully Holden will see some sence in how badly they are handling this and sort it out. If not, the judge will decide one way or another (but usually they follow the law and may not be impressed with Holden draging its feet in hollowing the ACCC undertaking they agreed to follow.

Oh, and if you can, garage/park your unsafe car and don't use it as it looks odd for you to be driving what you describe unsafe.

Don't give up and keep on pushing.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, as i linked to in post #90 and earlier...the actual undertaking pdf is here.
Guess the memo hasn't reached Holden Customer (couldn't) Care.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Just had confirmation from local Holden that steering rack is to be replaced. 1 1/4 years out of warranty. Thanks again Skylarking for your extensive help, it was needed. Those that need this fix, start reading those links.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I imagine everyone needs this fixed...

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
congrats banjo79, hopefully this is fix once and for all. And I do agree with snowdoggydogg, holden needs to issue a recall for this issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Banjo79 glad it was sorted, though selfishly i’d have preferred you went for a full refund under ACL ;)

Their must be a mandatory recall on this issue so i’d suggest anyone who has such issues or even had the problem fixed by Holden should lodge a complaint with DOTARS/ACCC.

Doing such may force the regulatory bodies to get from their proverbial asses and do something that may indeed save some lives as such issues are seriously dangerous.

tabac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais V V8
Hey all

I have the same issue was driving to work and all of a sudden had loss of power steering wasn’t far from home so went back home and took other car when I started it today it’s fine,

I have 2014 Calais v, which is out of warranty called Holden service today and booked it in to get it checked, they said I may have to pay a $140 diagnostic fee. The car only has 38000kms on it.