Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 VF Commdore - Wagon or Sedan?

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Good feature list for me, others may quibble, but overall I am not found wanting particularly. Self-demisting mirrors would be useful I think in winter. These are very useful on the Uni-supplied VW Tourareg that I also drive frequently.

I used Park Assist on Wednesday, but had to abort it abrubtly when a stupid driver pulled up directly behind me while I was reversing! The VF does not apply the brakes during Park assist - - you do that, with gentle taps or pressure during the movements, then gear changes. It has to be done slowly, as the sensors around the car are flat out keeping track of where the car is going and "watching" front and rear spaces (camera in the rear has proximity lines in yellow, turning to red when a bump is imminent!!). Generally, I can reverse parallel park a bit quicker than the car, but then I have been doing that in many cars, for many years. As a new driver, here is some advice: do not put all of your faith in automation and convenience.

Other stuff...
Auto-start is used often when I am driving the VF for the day, first thing in the morning, but not much durimg the day. It's a great bragging rights point among the "less convenienced" crew I hang out with (artists, photographers, writers etc.). Many other cars have this common feature too, like the Tourareg V8 behemoth. Lots and lots of cars.

No head unit changes. That's not my scene.

And now I'm heading out for dinner. On foot!

'Night. :)
Thanks for all of your help! Enjoy your dinner :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Also have you kept the stock Headunit or replaced it? (If so with what?) Cheers
Modern infotainment systems are heavily integrated into the vehicle system so replacement with some aftermarket unit is not like the days gone by where DIN units were cheap to source and easy to replace.

Thee are some interesting units but they have their own issues whilepotentially loosing some vehicle features. Also, these aftermarket (android based) units are also ratehr expensive and you may not get change from $3k or $4k. Probably not a path you want to start treading...

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Modern infotainment systems are heavily integrated into the vehicle system so replacement with some aftermarket unit is not like the days gone by where DIN units were cheap to source and easy to replace.

Thee are some interesting units but they have their own issues whilepotentially loosing some vehicle features. Also, these aftermarket (android based) units are also ratehr expensive and you may not get change from $3k or $4k. Probably not a path you want to start treading...
I already have a 8019s Kenwood Unit that i could use which is 7 inches which has the features like car play. As that’s what I was mainly after.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The way the infotainment is integrated into the vehicle system may be the problem unless that model is esigned to work with GM's architecture...

It's not in my wheelhouse as i haven't looked into it in deatil but from what ive read aftermarket head units are not simple plug and play... and i doubt that's the case ith your $500 8018s Kenwood.

jacobau

Reaction score
Members Ride
None
The way the infotainment is integrated into the vehicle system may be the problem unless that model is esigned to work with GM's architecture...

It's not in my wheelhouse as i haven't looked into it in deatil but from what ive read aftermarket head units are not simple plug and play... and i doubt that's the case ith your $500 8018s Kenwood.
Yea probably not unfortunately. What do you rate the mylink (stock) headunit then?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Most of the Mylink functions are handled by the Aepro facia kit , theres only a couple of functions you lose , if its a Calais I think heated seat ( which they were working on ) , obviously the sat nav stuff on the HUD and oncoming vehicle alerts when reversing from a car parking spot . I think that's about it

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
How about you jump on youtube and see many videos there that review VF Commodores. Also...google some articles about VF...

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
If you’re looking for a 2014-2017 then don’t forget that for an SV6 if you go MY14/MY15 you are less likely to get the satnav, HUD etc (if these are important to you) unless it’s a Black Ed. These features became standard on MY16 (maybe not the earliest examples tho?) and MY17. As I’ve said a number of times on recent threads, make sure you check thoroughly for the features you want..don’t just assume or believe what the ad says nor what the salesperson says...they don’t always deliberately mislead but it’s astounding how often they get it wrong.

As for sedan or wagon, I love both for different reasons that others have covered here. After about 8 or 9 Commodore sedans I still hear it from the Mrs 3yrs on after buying one of the last wagons...I’m regularly reminded that for all those years when the 3 kids which are close in age were growing up you never wanted a wagon when it would have been far easier for hols etc but now that the kids have all left home you go and buy one :rolleyes:. Truth is, I always liked the shape of the sedans more but when it came to the Sportwagon shape, you won’t find a better looking wagon for price, size, features etc.

I would advise that if it’s mainly going to be you and maybe one other mostly using it, then in a sedan you will have a back seat that is rarely used whereas with the wagon you will often find good reason to have the back seat down..either fully or split..to carry those awkward items. Our ute has a hardlid which I’m not about to remove and over the last few years I have regularly carried items in the wagon that are just too long or too high for the ute. Yes, and you can sleep in the wagon if you need to...

Anyway mate, either sedan or wagon, rush in and buy a VF soon while there’s still some good, relatively ‘young’ examples out there...as I’ve said above, you won’t find better value on the market for a large, true family size sedan/wagon for the money.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
If you tend to haul stuff around then consider that Sedan has fixed rear seats whereas Wagon has fold down. Wagon is greatly superior in this aspect. If that's not an issue then go sedan.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d have liked a Motorsport manual wagon but.... Holden o_O