Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre pressures

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah,I know lots here don’t like John Cadogen but could be worth a listen on the myths of nitrogen in car tyres ;)

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
yeah i have 19s so maybe i'll play around at 38 ish...

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
yeah i have 19s so maybe i'll play around at 38 ish...
Brown, I find 38 psi (cold tyre) works perfectly on my 19 inch rims. Mind you 38 works perfectly on my other car with 18 inch rims.
I just prefer 38 because its a nice number. And I trust petrol station air regulators are set properly (actually I check with my digital gauge).

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yep, with some people it’s easy to sell ‘snake oil’ like product and make a few bob in the process. Lots of such products on yen market.

As for nitrogen tyre fill, I’ve had it offered to me by the up-seller at the tyre shop. I replied “seriously, air is already 78% nitrogen” and his shoulders visibly sunk just that little bit. Needless to say the up-sell attempt was over :rolleyes:

As for “any real effect for passenger vehicles”, I’d go further and say it has little to no effect in most racing situations. And I’d suspect any nitrogen used in racing is a marketing attempt from the tyre suppliers to convince us that their “product” has merit.

[edited to add]
About the only real benefit of using nitrogen is that it contains no moisture and overcomes some perceived pressure change issues in humid locations. Such issues can be resolved by properly maintained compressors and dryers that removes any moisture from the compressed air. But seriously, many non enthusiast car people (the ones who race on tracks) would not be able to tell the difference in the handling of their road vehicle between 30psi and 40psi in their tyres; nitrogen or not o_O
Agree Skylarking, the best feature is the dryness of the gas. I guess the providers will use Nitrogen from bottles which is the result of rigorous processing, rather than just drawing air from the back of the servo compressor.
I check my tyre pressures on dry days, but having worked in many industrial settings, I know there is potentially a lot of water in air lines, even when filtered and dryers fitted.
Really hate to agree with John Codagon and I can't bring myself to listen to his spiel, but assume he is not in favour of N2 for tyres.
Oh, and this link was one of the last times there was a group discussion on this topic, back in the good ole days of 2018, when Monsta was part of the family https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/costco-tyres-revisited.271166/page-2

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The pro's and con's of nitrogen for tyres
a non-john summary lol

i think we can all agree that the real benefit for nitrogen in the tyres of passenger vehicles is for the tyre shop to make a bit more profit.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
a non-john summary lol

i think we can all agree that the real benefit for nitrogen in the tyres of passenger vehicles is for the tyre shop to make a bit more profit.
... or a marketing advantage.
Someone told me one of the cheap chains fills with nitrogen as part of the price; might have been Costco?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
a non-john summary lol

It's like filling tyres with Hydrogen to make them lighter.
The chemical reactions with would be mind-boggling.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Bahahaha did I mention nitrogen,sounds like another dyno hp argument type thread lol.
Ill stay out of that one.
Im happy with normal old compressed air.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
... or a marketing advantage.
Someone told me one of the cheap chains fills with nitrogen as part of the price; might have been Costco?

Yep, Costco do as part of the deal - no extra cost and they will also check/top as required (I get mine checked before our road trips).

Never worried about it prior to buying tyres at Costco and wouldn't bother if it was an added cost or inconvenient but as it's neither, I do it.

In another life I serviced air compressors for a living. It may be different now but back in the day, other than in emergency, there's no way I'd go near a servo for tyre inflation.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I fill my tyres with approximately 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen