Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre pressures

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
... or a marketing advantage.
Someone told me one of the cheap chains fills with nitrogen as part of the price; might have been Costco?
Yes john mentioned that in the video above that it is good for relationship building to have the customer come back for free top ups as they hope you return and buy more tyres off them because they looked after you.

sounds like another dyno hp argument type thread lol.

Maybe lol but really anyone that falls for the nitrogen scam is really just uneducated on the topic and any benefit would be negligible.
As much as people dont like old john he does break it down and explain it very well.

Even if someone swears by nitrogen because their earth is flat the tyre still has 1 atmosphere of ordinary air in it because the tyre is not filled while in a vacuum lol.

The best thing people can do is just keep the tyre inflated correctly and do regular pressure checks and rotations.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I'm sure we can stop global warming if we were to use methane , just think of the benefits , you would know straight away if you had a puncture .

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I'm sure we can stop global warming if we were to use methane , just think of the benefits , you would know straight away if you had a puncture .
Actually we should all sequester CO2 in our tyres and save the planet one wheel at a time.
This would be more beneficial than just blocking roads in cities and demanding someone else does something. But don't affect the Extinction Rebellion electronic lifestyle.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Everything's OK until someone has a naked flame.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Damn I thought I mighta been onto some sorta money making gimik ,oh well ,
upload_2019-10-14_12-7-8.gif

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I was fooled to put Nitrogen in my tyres about 15 years ago and what that video said was mostly correct, I found the ride was better and that my tyres worn even but that was due to the tyre plan and the extra money I had to pay going back to them having rotations a pressure checks something I could of done my self with just air.
Even though I found my 17" wheels wasn't as harsh than just air I would never put nitrogen in again due to the pain of finding someone to check the pressure as not everyone had nitrogen + the extra cost for rotating the wheels nitrogen top ups was free, the average loss in nitrogen in my tyres was a little over 1 psi every 10,000 k's. Its not bad sticking with the one company they look after you and give you better deals.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Unfortunately, one persons starting pressures differ from the next, due to driving style and weight in the car....

So the best way to judge the best pressure for you, is to look at the wear pattern on the tyres.

In the case of the OP, if the tyres are wearing evenly at 42 PSI, I'd leave it alone.

Another thing to factor in, is the gauge....Every gauge reads differently....So the best method is to use you're personal gauge to check the pressures, so you know it's correct.

As for nitrogen fill....Hummm....Bob Jane started the bulldust trend off, to help with sales.....Going back about 20 years, he used A current Affairs, or something similar to promote the "benefits" of nitrogen, to help boost sales figures......Since then, a few places have jumped on the bandwagon to help the bank balance....

Other than that, it's a load of crock.....You would have to physcially have to remove all the air from the tyre to make it half beneficial....And to physcially remove all the air from the tyre is impossible.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Any device used to measure something needs to be calibrated to ensure accuracy, especially if used to measure quantities to be sold to the public.
But air is free and not sold ;) So nobody really needs to calibrates their tyre pressure gauges; especially not those the big, cheap self service petrol stations o_O

So, simply use your own pressure gauge and don't worry so much about what the true pressure of a tyre is. Rather, it's more sensible to focus on whether your tyre has lost air pressure since you last checked.

And i'll expand on what @vc commodore says, periodically look at your tyre tread wear as a hint on the correct tyre pressure and the state of your wheel alignment. Odd tread wear patterns do tell so much about condition of your vehicle ;) Oh, and the best time to do such tread checks is when you rotate your tyres, which should be done periodically, if it can be done that is (need same size tyres front and back) :rolleyes:

For those that really buy into the nitrogen being dryer, heavier and bigger than air, maybe you should consider CO2 which has a higher molecular weight (44 g/mol) and larger molecular size (232pm) as compared to Nitrogen (28g/mol & 155pm respectively). The gas in a CO2 cartridge is also dry. If you subscribe to the snake oil, CO2 must be better than N :rolleyes: Many push bike riders use those CO2 soda cartridges with small inflators to pump up their tyres (usually due to their small size and ease of carrying under their seat). I've even seen larger inflators with integrated pressure gauge. Obviously a car tyre is much larger and you'd need a few cartridges to initially inflate each tyre but top ups would be a pee in the hand :cool: Me, i'll stick to free air :p

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Any device used to measure something needs to be calibrated to ensure accuracy, especially if used to measure quantities to be sold to the public.
But air is free and not sold ;) So nobody really needs to calibrates their tyre pressure gauges; especially not those the big, cheap self service petrol stations o_O

So, simply use your own pressure gauge and don't worry so much about what the true pressure of a tyre is. Rather, it's more sensible to focus on whether your tyre has lost air pressure since you last checked.

And i'll expand on what @vc commodore says, periodically look at your tyre tread wear as a hint on the correct tyre pressure and the state of your wheel alignment. Odd tread wear patterns do tell so much about condition of your vehicle ;) Oh, and the best time to do such tread checks is when you rotate your tyres, which should be done periodically, if it can be done that is (need same size tyres front and back) :rolleyes:

For those that really buy into the nitrogen being dryer, heavier and bigger than air, maybe you should consider CO2 which has a higher molecular weight (44 g/mol) and larger molecular size (232pm) as compared to Nitrogen (28g/mol & 155pm respectively). The gas in a CO2 cartridge is also dry. If you subscribe to the snake oil, CO2 must be better than N :rolleyes: Many push bike riders use those CO2 soda cartridges with small inflators to pump up their tyres (usually due to their small size and ease of carrying under their seat). I've even seen larger inflators with integrated pressure gauge. Obviously a car tyre is much larger and you'd need a few cartridges to initially inflate each tyre but top ups would be a pee in the hand :cool: Me, i'll stick to free air :p

I'm afraid your wrong there Skylarking , even though your reasoning seems sound , its wrong . I once used my beer gas CO2 to inflate some balloons one Chrissy and by the next morning they were all but flat , seemed strange to me ., a quick google brought this article up https://youcanscienceit.com/2015/11...er-than-helium-when-grahams-law-doesnt-apply/
I would imagine the reason they use CO2 for cyclist is because its cheap and easily accessable

Last edited: