Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais V - Custom Exhaust Setup

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Lumina, 2010 Calais V
Hi!

Anybody got any ideas on what kind of exhaust setup I should go with for the Calais? I love the sound it makes already, but i'd really just like a bit more volume, the thing's almost too quiet as it stands :p

All stock currently, not even entirely sure of the engine model, but it's the 2010 V8.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
A Manta Catback system will put a smile on your face.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any standard timeframe for getting the work done? I was gonna get a custom setup on my VZ (out of necessity, mind you. The poor thing used to live at the beach) and the guys told me it would take half a day. Makes it a bit difficult within business hours during the work week :p

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I've never fitted a catback exhaust to a VE
From what I have seen of these systems though it shouldn't take too long to fit
The forum exhaust guru Not An Abba Fan or someone who's fitted one will be able to elaborate on how long it will take to fit.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If it’s a bolt on cat back exhaust system then should only take an hour or 2 it’s pretty straight forward go for the 3 inch system for a nice deep sounding exhaust

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
i have a calais 6lt with hm headers and difilippo catback, nice and deep doesnt drone.
sort little vid, can get another one if you want.

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
This pleases me greatly, haha. The lack of drone is a welcome feature, as far as i'm concerned - the deeper the noise, the better.

How much was that setup, and how long did it take? :)

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
This pleases me greatly, haha. The lack of drone is a welcome feature, as far as i'm concerned - the deeper the noise, the better.

How much was that setup, and how long did it take? :)
if you want to do a full system which includes over the radiator intake, full difilippo exhaust ( 1 3/4 long tube headers into a 2.5 catback) with a custom tune? c & a autofashion do a package for $4700, i think an extra $100 gets you big 3.5inch tips, thats in melbourne, not sure if your from melbourne?
otherwise you could look for a difilippo full exhaust on gumtree/facebook market place/ebay.
your only issue with most exhuast on the ve/vf is as soon as you do most exhaust your going to have issues with fault codes, your best bet is to do the otr intake and tune with it as your tuner will remove the codes as he tunes it, on top of that youll gain 50+kws and have a more economical car!
if the coin is an issue, look for a 3 inch difilippo catback ($1800 new) which will be deeper and wont drone either!

this is a user on this forum with the the difilippo exhuast next to the stock exhaust

Last edited:

ReaperTBS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh man, i'm getting excited about this now haha.

The OTR intake and tune will really add power and economy? I've always been confused about that. I've seen so many contrasting opinions regarding the effects of different exhaust systems, seems to be an everlasting dichotomy. Anybody happen to know the processes by which these effects take place?

I'm gonna start saving now, i think :p

Anybody know any places decent for price and reliability to get the OTR intake and tuning done in/near Brisbane?

(Edit: Hearing that low growl made me legitimately giggle like a schoolgirl.)

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
try doing a google of ls tuning near your area, dont settle for xforce if a shop offers it, if you like the sound of a particular exhaust, ask the tuner to get it and do the rest for you.
if you want something in the mean time and dont need the tune and otr, look for a secondhand difilippo or walkinshaw catback (they are the same thing), i found one on the facebook marketplace for my old man for $600 and his machanic fitted it in 20 mins. that way you can do the matching headers/cats and otr and tune later on and when you have the money!
food for thought anyway?
i also like the sound of the pacemaker system, they have a fill system like the one in this video with long tri ys on ebay for $3100