Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Oil temp after cam install

Tuff.SSVoodoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Mines a 6sp. platinum plugs and in tassie so not the hottest place around

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they do have an oil temp sensor, i find mine is always about 100-110 deg normal driving even with the cam/blower, do a bit of track work and it will soon rise...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
OK I believe you that some have sensors, mine and most don't, is a calculated PID. Not a direct reading from a sensor. Happy to discover that I have an oil temp sensor though if you tell me the PID.
Mate the biggest difference I've noticed is using high ZDDP (zinc) oil like Penrite 10 Tenths or RedLine, and using colder copper plugs. Never above 100° up here in the subtropical summer.
I pulled my stock iridiums at 140k and they were still perfect... that sorta made me think twice about TR6... then when I checked tune and ran first time snuffed it at lights part throttle take-off on ethanol. However once at 80° was noticeably better than stock, worth the change.
With better induction like ours you may find that you can advance the timing / reduce knock as I did.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i can only say the hsv range has the sensor for the proper gauge in the centre it get the reading from "can" and i think the sensor is in the drivers side sump, i could only think that the rest would have the same sensor for the ecu to know but i could be wrong...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
i can only say the hsv range has the sensor for the proper gauge in the centre it get the reading from "can" and i think the sensor is in the drivers side sump, i could only think that the rest would have the same sensor for the ecu to know but i could be wrong...

Here we go guys, this summary of some investigative work done a while back on the US thread. The sender you mention is oil pressure only. http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=30648&page=7&p=508830&viewfull=1#post508830
"The sensor connected on the [driver] side of the oil pan is not an actual temp sensor.
LS3 oil temp is calculated on the [VE SS]. I speculate that there is a base profile of oil temp simply based on engine run time & RPM that makes up the majority of the oil temp calculation, and other sensors (AAT, ECT, other?) might make small adjustments to that base profile to determine the final calculated oil temp value.
The LS3 oil temp calculation in the [VE SS] does not accurately model oil temp with an air to oil cooler (can't say if it's accurate in stock form).
If you are serious about wanting to know your oil temp, you should add an actual temp sensor. To easily add a temp sensor to a stock engine, buy the LS1 or LS6 block off piece for the oil pan. It's similar to the LS3 piece, except that the LS1 & LS6 pieces have a threaded hole for a temp sensor. I've never found the GM p/n for this piece, but I did find an aftermarket one as an example: CBM-10820. It has multiple threaded holes, a single M12 x 1.5 and two 1/8 NPT. I have zero experience or knowledge of this piece or its fitment and have no affiliation to the manufacturer."

Tuff.SSVoodoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Yeah I might put an oil cooler on it just for piece of mind. With the current tune I have no knocks and isnt pinging. Probably only room for another 4 degrees of timing.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
..hmmm interesting will have to do so research onto it now, if it is just a base calculation then seems odd that when i changed oil brands the temp and time it took to heat up changed which if it was just calculations it wouldn't have changed at all...

Tuff.SSVoodoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Yeah ^ it is strange. As u went from a 5w30 to 10w60. Knocking 10degrees down from 116-124 to 105-115