Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very concerning sound upon startup...

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
The vf has that auto start mechanism where you don’t need to hold the key in the start position until it starts - the mere fact of momentarily turning the key to start before releasing will run the starter motor until the engine fires

My guess is that the key has been held (and not released) in the start position even after the engine has fired

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
A 2 year old engine with oil that looks like that? Yech ... how many kms has it done since the last oil change?

About 4500kms. Last service was end of June last year.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Sound like this? This is mine...

Just realised my car was posted earlier up too :p

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
About 4500kms. Last service was end of June last year.

Do you think its due? Does it smell ok? Oil change intervals are controversial.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
The vf has that auto start mechanism where you don’t need to hold the key in the start position until it starts - the mere fact of momentarily turning the key to start before releasing will run the starter motor until the engine fires

My guess is that the key has been held (and not released) in the start position even after the engine has fired
Since VE holding the key on start doesn’t keep the solenoid engaged like old, is still one Start command sent by turning the key, turning key whilst running doesn’t send command.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Im 99% convinced it had something to do with the way my uncle started the car, He either didn't press the clutch in all the way or released it to early on startup

Being manual, wouldn't the car have lurched forward (or backwards, depending on gear) if that were the case?. If it was in neutral then there is no reason for a noise to occur.

The vf has that auto start mechanism where you don’t need to hold the key in the start position until it starts - the mere fact of momentarily turning the key to start

Since VE holding the key on start doesn’t keep the solenoid engaged like old, is still one Start command sent by turning the key, turning key whilst running doesn’t send command.

It's an SSVR.. it has push button start.

A 2 year old engine with oil that looks like that? Yech ... how many kms has it done since the last oil change?

What's wrong with that oil, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Being manual, wouldn't the car have lurched forward (or backwards, depending on gear) if that were the case?. If it was in neutral then there is no reason for a noise to occur.

It's an SSVR.. it has push button start.

What's wrong with that oil, or am I missing something?

Its a 2 year old engine ... how dark and dirty do you want it to be?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Its a 2 year old engine ... how dark and dirty do you want it to be?

Well considering that one of the main jobs of oil is to clean as well as lubricate, there is absolutely no obvious issue with that oil as far as I can see. It's 4500kms old and not overly dark. Again, unless I'm missing something, it looks completely normal.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
Yeah I think is not mechanical per sé, rather poor combustion causing knock something like the fuel issue on incline mentioned above.
You either need it checked with Holden or log startup yourself.