Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II Calais V Towbar wiring

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Just installed a s/h Holden 2100kg towbar that came with genuine wiring harness and module, does it have to be changed in the setting by Holden or Snapon, I have changed the setting via MyLink for the reverse sensors, but no output via the flat 7 pin plug?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There are a quite a few threads on JC about VF towbars where in many i have posted a link to another thread that links the VF, WN Accessory Installation Manual.

This Accessories Installation Manual describes the install process for the towbar and the wiring harness package within the Exterior Structural Accessories section and Eectrical Accessories section respectively. Specifically, for the wiring harness install, it states "once the installation has been carried out, configure the TIM module using TIS2 Web SPS. For further details refere to Trailer Lamp Control Modul Programming Setup".

Sadly, this later Setup referenced section doesn't exist within the accessories installation manual itself or within the VF Workshop manual available as PDF on the web. In any case, we don't have assess to the needed service equipment to use the procedure should we know what it is, thus programing for us mortals entails a trip to Holden service department and handing over some $$ as discussed in this thread.

Once the veicle is programed for a tow bar, you then have a setting within MyLink where you can set that a towbar tounge is attached. This sets the reverse sensors to allow for the towbar itself thus avoiding incessant beeping and also sets the indicators to flash 6 times rather than 3 when a momentary push of the indicator stalk is done in your desired direction.

If you have such an option within Mylink, your vehicle is already programed for a towbar. If you don't have such a setting within MyLink, you need to make a trip to a Holden Service department and give them some $$.

But, if i've suspect/assume correctly, the trailer lamps should work regardless of any programing of the trailer lamp control module... If the lamps don't work, maybe the module itself has a fault or the wiring itself is faulty.

Others in the know should be able to clarify if a genuine ne towbar lamp control module needs programing before it will work the trailer lamps AND if a second hand (old) module is tied to the VIN of the donor 'doore in which case you may also need to wipe the old VIN and insert your new VIN during the programing of it...

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update - I had to take the car (MY16) into Holden to get some warranty work done and asked them if it need to be reprogrammed, and they said yes, it now works and the bonus is they didn't charge me, I do like that now I get 6 flashes out of the blinkers instead of the 3. I had tried a friends Snap-on machine but it wouldn't do it either, they also fitted a genuine setup to a Colorado today and had to send them to Holden to program it as well.

lamb_daiquiri

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportwagon
Lucky you! Cost me 89- and two trips to the dealer to get my towbar activated. I haven't seen any option in mylink but the tow hitch doesn't seem to set off the reverse sensors anyway.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't seen any option in mylink but the tow hitch doesn't seem to set off the reverse sensors anyway.
I meant to check when I got home awhile ago, but forgot, will check in the morning and post any pictures of the mylink screen.

Glenno SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE SV6 VF II 4D SPORTWAGON V6 3.6L
Trailer Lamp Control Modul Programming Setup
2022 update
Holden quoted $440 and a 2 week wait!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Trailer Lamp Control Modul Programming Setup
2022 update
Holden quoted $440 and a 2 week wait!
Is that just for the programming or the module too?

Glenno SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just programming.. :rolleyes:

Glenno SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting. Might still be an option.
Going to see an auto-elec today. Wont be giving the dealer $440
It's like the cost of Holden service and parts will up there with the Mercedes as time goes on.