Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf2 SS crap low beam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have used this HID kit in 4300K temperature. Excellent fit and not overly bright. Still have a good cutoff. I have never been flashed. Have them professionally adjusted. As an aside, some Holden Equinox models come with HID headlights but without self-levelling or washers. I suspect, but could be wrong, that they are only required above a certain light output, either 1800 or 2000 lumens.
http://www.ae-international.com.au/...m-headlight-hid-conversion-kit-canbus-h7-35w/
Navigating ADR's is like navigating through rabbit burrows :eek:

For lighting, start at ADR 13/00 and it's appendix A being UN R 48/06. ADR 13/00 references ADR 46/00 and ADR 77/00 and also reference UN R 98 and UN R 112 (along with many many other references, appendix's within these docs... as i said rabbit burrows ).

But UN R 48/06 Section 6.2.9 states Dipped beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing a principle dipped beam having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumens shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning devices according to regulation 45".

" Contrating Parties to the respective regulation can still prohibit the use of mechanical cleaning systems when headlamps with plastic lenses, marked "PL", are installed.

The cleaning device system itself and it's performance is also heavily regulated with complex test routines to ensure it does what it needs to do.

Also UN R 48/06 Section 6.2.6.2.1 states In the case where a headlamp leveling device is nesessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraph 6.2.6.1.1 and 6.2.6.1.2, the device shall be automatic.

(the next section 6.2.6.2.2 is related to manual driver adjustable vertical inclination (beam cutoff) due to vehicle loading where the adjustment knob must be within the drivers reach. But the later section 6.2.9 states that if > 2,000 lumens the headlamp leveling device must be automatic... so the reference to auto self leveling headlamps is a little convoluted but it's there for all to find)

The interesting bit is there are specific requirements to being able to replace halogen? globes at night without tools but i can't remember which ADR it was specified within. Such a clause clearly implied globes that require them to be "professional adjusted" are indeed illegal regardless of total objective luminous flux being more or less than 2,000 lumens ;) Compliant globes are meant to be idiot proof to install :p

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
Navigating ADR's is like navigating through rabbit burrows :eek:

For lighting, start at ADR 13/00 and it's appendix A being UN R 48/06. ADR 13/00 references ADR 46/00 and ADR 77/00 and also reference UN R 98 and UN R 112 (along with many many other references, appendix's within these docs... as i said rabbit burrows ).

But UN R 48/06 Section 6.2.9 states Dipped beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing a principle dipped beam having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumens shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning devices according to regulation 45".

" Contrating Parties to the respective regulation can still prohibit the use of mechanical cleaning systems when headlamps with plastic lenses, marked "PL", are installed.

The cleaning device system itself and it's performance is also heavily regulated with complex test routines to ensure it does what it needs to do.

Also UN R 48/06 Section 6.2.6.2.1 states In the case where a headlamp leveling device is nesessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraph 6.2.6.1.1 and 6.2.6.1.2, the device shall be automatic.

(the next section 6.2.6.2.2 is related to manual driver adjustable vertical inclination (beam cutoff) due to vehicle loading where the adjustment knob must be within the drivers reach. But the later section 6.2.9 states that if > 2,000 lumens the headlamp leveling device must be automatic... so the reference to auto self leveling headlamps is a little convoluted but it's there for all to find)

The interesting bit is there are specific requirements to being able to replace halogen? globes at night without tools but i can't remember which ADR it was specified within. Such a clause clearly implied globes that require them to be "professional adjusted" are indeed illegal regardless of total objective luminous flux being more or less than 2,000 lumens ;) Compliant globes are meant to be idiot proof to install :p
Skylarking, that rules out any globes, halogen or otherwise for the VF given the difficulty of changing them!

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Skylark, that rules out any globes, halogen or otherwise for the VF given the difficulty of changing them!
Ah we were paying attention :) Well the answer is yes (passes ADR) and no (fails ADR).

Yes because the requirement is that the globe can be inserted into the headlamp assembly at night in the correct orientation (which is why the globe has the little fingers on it and the headlamp the corresponding cutouts). Which it can in a bench situation :rolleyes:o_O

No because the intent of the ADR should logically be that changing the globe at night shouldn’t require a jack, stands, hand tools (screw drivers, wheel brace, etc), wheel removal and a torch just to get to the rear of the headlamp assembly :oops:

If I was in charge, such headlamp arrangements would obviously fail ADR compliance ;) Probably a bit of regulatory capture going on... :eek:

In any case, those twist to adjust halogen replacement HID globes fail in both parts (bench and in real life) ;) and if over 2,000 lumens they also fail due to no auto level adjustment and headlamp spray washers :eek:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Ah we were paying attention :) Well the answer is yes (passes ADR) and no (fails ADR).

Yes because the requirement is that the globe can be inserted into the headlamp assembly at night in the correct orientation (which is why the globe has the little fingers on it and the headlamp the corresponding cutouts). Which it can in a bench situation :rolleyes:o_O

No because the intent of the ADR should logically be that changing the globe at night shouldn’t require a jack, stands, hand tools (screw drivers, wheel brace, etc), wheel removal and a torch just to get to the rear of the headlamp assembly :oops:

If I was in charge, such headlamp arrangements would obviously fail ADR compliance ;) Probably a bit of regulatory capture going on... :eek:

In any case, those twist to adjust halogen replacement HID globes fail in both parts (bench and in real life) ;) and if over 2,000 lumens they also fail due to no auto level adjustment and headlamp spray washers :eek:

Is it 2000 lumens per headlamp or 2000 lumens combined? If it's each headlamp then I can think of 2000 lumen HID globes being sold that would only need correct alignment and comply!

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
Is it 2000 lumens per headlamp or 2000 lumens combined? If it's each headlamp then I can think of 2000 lumen HID globes being sold that would only need correct alignment and comply!
Per side. I am sure those in the link I provided are under 2000 lumens. They provide a good improvement at night without being too bright.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The way total objective luminous flux is measured is rather complex from what I gathered in my scan of the docs, multiple points are measured over specific parts of the beam pattern and used to calculate the lumens. But it’s not entirely clear if the multiple points are from only one low beam headlamp as it seems to read as if it is indeed be a combined (total) output.

In any case, If such HID based halogen inserts were indeed < 2,000 lumens (as measured by the regulations) and thus legal, you could be absolutely sure the sellers would plaster such a fact all over their product packaging and web pages. Sadly they are mute on their HID globe legality. But if all other things were OK, the rotating globe still kills any hope of meeting compliance.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The way total objective luminous flux is measured is rather complex from what I gathered in my scan of the docs, multiple points are measured over specific parts of the beam pattern and used to calculate the lumens. But it’s not entirely clear if the multiple points are from only one low beam headlamp as it seems to read as if it is indeed be a combined (total) output.

In any case, If such HID based halogen inserts were indeed < 2,000 lumens (as measured by the regulations) and thus legal, you could be absolutely sure the sellers would plaster such a fact all over their product packaging and web pages. Sadly they are mute on their HID globe legality. But if all other things were OK, the rotating globe still kills any hope of meeting compliance.

What gets me is that you have large retailers like Supercheap selling such products which makes a buyer assume it would have to be ADR compliant, with no words suggesting otherwise:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...t-caprice-or-hsv-grange-range/SPO3283074.html

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
T

Totally agree but isn’t this where the retailer uses some lame excuse like ‘oh people might just want them for use on their farm property’ or whatever..

Sometimes such products can be marked with "for off road use only".