Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS rotor replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah when you do it often enough you get good at remembering what size spanners and sockets you need, no getting back up because you grabbed the wrong tool. I was like that on the Jeep, knew that bus inside out.

When you're working on a Renault then a falcon then a jeep then landcruiser and you just throw all your tools into a service cart then run to the next job you don't have time to lay all the right tools out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When you're working on a Renault then a falcon then a jeep then landcruiser and you just throw all your tools into a service cart then run to the next job you don't have time to lay all the right tools out.
Oh OK, you're not as good as i assumed you would have been. The few times, maybe 7 times all up, i have helped out in a garage the mech says to me grab a such and such spanner or socket. That's because those blokes knew the size heads on the nuts and bolts. I was impressed by this, especially when I'm not even a mechanics arsehole. But if chucking a bunch of tools in a service cart is your method, great, always more than one way to skin a cat......;)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Oh OK, you're not as good as i assumed you would have been. The few times, maybe 7 times all up, i have helped out in a garage the mech says to me grab a such and such spanner or socket. That's because those blokes knew the size heads on the nuts and bolts. I was impressed by this, especially when I'm not even a mechanics arsehole. But if chucking a bunch of tools in a service cart is your method, great, always more than one way to skin a cat......;)
Yea I know commodore bolt sizes but jeep for example love to use 16mm head bolts everywhere japan is 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm.
Euro cars can be anything. I own a Snap-on 86" box so I'm happy for you not to belive me but I have more tools than most because I turnover the business more than most.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have had people say to me that I apparently have enough tools.... My answer to them is you can never have enough tools. I have around $40k worth but in reality I still need another $40k worth. Always something you can't easily do for lack of the right equipment.
FIIK who will end up with all my gear when I'm no longer around. Have to hope my only daughter has a boy, unless the grand daughter takes a liking to cars.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
9 out of 10 times you should know the size by just looking at it but If your doing it every day for a living after 10 years you should be getting 10/10 times right by looking at it that's all you do is bolts and nuts.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have had people say to me that I apparently have enough tools.... My answer to them is you can never have enough tools. I have around $40k worth but in reality I still need another $40k worth. Always something you can't easily do for lack of the right equipment.
FIIK who will end up with all my gear when I'm no longer around. Have to hope my only daughter has a boy, unless the grand daughter takes a liking to cars.

I'm likely going to die with cancer due to my upbringing where chemicals were not protected against. plus I drink. So I'll likey give my box up for charity it's worth alot lol. Just the box it's self retails at 22k.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
vc commodore said:
Like everything mate...Do things often enough, it gets quicker.....

When I replaced 4 rotors and rear pads, changed master cylinder and re-bled the entire system, from start to finish it took me an hour on my own car. That was start to finish.... You automatically know the tools required and putting your hands on them quickly helps. If you can't, it can take longer...(No offense to you, if you don't have your tools in order....:) Some people are like that)

Shane-3800 said:
I'll give you a tip, if you took that long where I work you would not last long.
I bet your workshop goal is 100k for the month......... I'd love to see you in a big boys workshop.

Why is that Shane? Is that to fast for your company, U have to milk every cent out of a customer, If it takes you 2hr to change a A/C compresor and 4-5 to service the system, 6-7hr labour, I hate to see how long it takes you to change a headlight bulb. 22k toolbox and yet still cant find your tools, you need some in house keeping skills, not being rude but you love putting tickets on yourself.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll give you a tip, if you took that long where I work you would not last long.
I bet your workshop goal is 100k for the month......... I'd love to see you in a big boys workshop.

I wouldn't last long where you work because of time.....Hang on, you're the one mentioning it takes longer than an hour to do a full pad and rotor change on a commodore...So that means you'd be battling to stay employed with me there..

You throw your tools in a cart and run to the next job? Hang on, you only do 4 cars a day....Shows you're unorganised and you have no idea on bolt sizes, by looking at them...Perhaps spend a few bucks on buying an organiser to put your expensive tools in, when they are on your cart....Then you might be able to do 5 cars a day

Workshop goals??? One of my roles are, ensure the customer leaves happy, which in turn brings them, their friends and relatives back to the shop.....Can you put a price on that?

Do I keep going, so you can keep digging yourself in deeper?

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah when you do it often enough you get good at remembering what size spanners and sockets you need, no getting back up because you grabbed the wrong tool. I was like that on the Jeep, knew that bus inside out.

Also helps when you get older.....You don't seem to get up and down as quick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.