Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS series lll V8 5spd ute cam package

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute V8 manual & Vl walkinshaw
Hey guys anyone no if blocking the cam retainer bolt will help with oil pressure? Seen a few things online about it but not sure if its worth it ..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625-131932_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-131932_Gallery.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 123

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Weld or centre punch the hole closed.

Other trick is chain oil feeder..depending on what comfortable with crush hole further or block it completely as some builders believe there is enough oil splash happening in timing cover & coming up from sump the above are considered oil leaks/pressure drops.

Another cool trick seen but yet to do is small roll pins in ends of pushrods to limit amount oil into rocker covers...more suited for roller rockers tbh

Do some research & do what you feel comfortable with.

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did the valve springs today .. Wot a fun job!! Also bought roller rockers..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-170429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-170429_Gallery.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20201007-170437_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-170437_Gallery.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 96

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I asked already in another thread, but its sounding like you left the heads on? Any reason you didn't slip them off and get some work done? You got some large, ripe fruit there, I would have thought it would be a good time for, valve reshape porting and a skim?

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I asked already in another thread, but its sounding like you left the heads on? Any reason you didn't slip them off and get some work done? You got some large, ripe fruit there, I would have thought it would be a good time for, valve reshape porting and a skim?
To be honest I'm not bothered doing the heads just wanting the cam change and have add couple bits along the way .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
To be honest I'm not bothered doing the heads just wanting the cam change and have add couple bits along the way .
Fair enough, I think I already might have said I am getting my heads done but I have a spare set. I went in expecting only minimal gains from head work on my Buick but talking to the engine builder, last one he did on a Buick, much to my surprise, the owner really noticed it in the pedal. I was hoping for 10-12rwkw, but I might be around 20kw, dyno will give me an accurate figure.
Probably different story if you know the cond and mileage on the V8 you have. I had NFI on mine. It's working out exi though, $1300 for new heads, V8 ones are only $1400 for the same work I'm getting done, meh...., it's only money......lol

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Fair enough, I think I already might have said I am getting my heads done but I have a spare set. I went in expecting only minimal gains from head work on my Buick but talking to the engine builder, last one he did on a Buick, much to my surprise, the owner really noticed it in the pedal. I was hoping for 10-12rwkw, but I might be around 20kw, dyno will give me an accurate figure.
Probably different story if you know the cond and mileage on the V8 you have. I had NFI on mine. It's working out exi though, $1300 for new heads, V8 ones are only $1400 for the same work I'm getting done, meh...., it's only money......lol
Yeah that's a lot of money for 20kws if you ask me. Might as well do the whole bottom end at the same time. Like where does it stop?

I'm really keen to see how this goes cause I'm battling with wanting to do a cam on mine or the whole lot. But as above, money is the issue.

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice one!! My motor still quiet fresh ... Head work diffinety the way to go but for now ill see how cam and tune go .