Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DaCoffee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Haven't found many LS VZ around and many of them are over 10k some heaps higher when you consider a complete setup is about 4k with low ks just like I have looked that I found and do it all myself when I have 2 weeks off. So LS VZ I could have brought would be half of one, hope that answers the question. Either way I have been putting what info I have on this thread so if I stop others have the info to go on

Epic_Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
72 hq 350 Chev and Peter Brock Vl
did you end up finishing this build? curious as i have a vz clubsport that wont ever be road legal again and want to swap the ls2/t56 plus all the HSV bits into a VZ sv6 as i like the factory body kits etc

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey fellas,
Throwing a thread together about my progress on LS swapping my VZ Calais. Long term hoping to run a LS3, short term running LS1. Follow me on Instagram @gmhvz_build

Originally I had the 190kw Alloytec, the vehicle ran well for a couple years until I cracked the radiator and the vehicle overheated.
I pressure tested the system, found the thermostat housing was leaking. I removed the Plenum and manifold where I found it had burnt a number of valves.
View attachment 199699
I lost a lot of interest in the car at this point. The car was parked up for a couple of weeks until I decided to pull the engine and gearbox. Since then the car sat for over a year.
View attachment 199700

Recently I found a wrecked VZ calais with LS1. The vehicle starts, runs and drives. The Calais cost $3000, more than i was hoping but it is the perfect donor. The vehicle was in Melbourne, Im located North of Adelaide. The trip was 19 hours return. The vehicle had been stripped but still started and drove. This is the new donor vehicle.
The plans are to complete strip this vehicle and convert it over to the Original Calais.View attachment 199697

The dash was stripped and then removed. The wiring harness was removed from the dash frame. Currently my next challenge is to remove the whole loom from the interior. The fuse box has to be manipulated through the small opening on the firewall.
View attachment 199790 View attachment 199792 View attachment 199793

View attachment 199791

I removed all the wiring from the engine bay, the loom connected to the engine loom though the positive battery terminal. The rest of the dash loom ran to the head lights, front horns and bonnet release switch though the radiator support. The moulded trim around the strut tower was removed, the fuses and relays were removed from the fuse box.
View attachment 199890
This loom and fuse box was fed though the firewall opening and the entire loom removed from the vehicle.
View attachment 199891

Up next, Engine and gear box to come out.
I cut the upper and lower radiator support panel out. I didn't need to but it just gives me some more room. This way i can remove the engine and Trans together without having the crane hit the roof.
View attachment 199992
Just to clarify, removing the harness, you fed the engine side through to the interior? That’s what I make of it.