Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Bloody hell. That’s great advice.
Listen up on that one folks. Of all the things on a Commodre that suck, the two that suck the most are the thermostat housing and HVAC out for AC repairs. I’d rather offer free fellatio to the old hag down the road from my mates house than do those two jobs.
Just did my entire system.. new hoses, thermostat, radiator, seals, I did the water pump a few months back, have a new sensor to go in tomorrow as well as the coolant... took me a good four hours to get the old thermos out and the new one in
but great write up. Awesome info specially in a pinch.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey @Fu Manchu Just thought I would ask here considering it's cooling related.

I will be replacing my overflow reservoir this afternoon, my old one has split somewhere and is seeping out causing my car to up its temos over half. I will attach pictures.

Is it possible to just remove the reservoir without dropping the coolant and just transfer that coolant to the new reservoir when installed?

Cheers.
Just noticed in this that the coolant is coming from the reservoir overflow hole. That little rectangle. It’s then dribbling down and along that seam. I’m guessing that the old reservoir was fine and your swapped one continued to have the problem.

Solution: clean out the filler when the cap seats. Get any corrosion off. That could mean replacing the filler neck or removing the old one to avoid contamination of the coolant with bits of alloy from smoothing the cap seat.

A new cap would be required as well.

A poorly seated cap, or faulty cap can lead to coolant out, but no coolant in. Then the reservoir overflows, and it’s easy to suspect a damaged reservoir as the culprit.