Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Walkinshaw W engine upgrades

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
It's a great marketing strategy that can make owners believe their Walkinshaw mods are legal without Walkinshaw actually saying it.

With all the info on the internet these days, what I can't understand is people still fall for it.
Walkinshaw reminds me of HDT after Brock sold it where the HDT dealers modified and build plated cars post Brock that meant nothing. In the 90's when I did a lot HSV club sprints, HDT Brock cars were eligible for membership, and we got a lot of post Brock HDT cars the club rejected with continual arguments about it. The reality was, post Brock HDT plated cars, were not Holden affiliated and were just another aftermarket organisation modifying cars no different to Harrop, or Bob's Hotrods.

As far as the post Brock HDT parts went, Crane 276 camshafts with HDT stamped in the back of them claimed to be a custom grind and selling for 3 times the price of a genuine Crane cam. HM Headers made the exhausts with HDT stamps much like Walkinshaw does today, over inflated prices for parts you can buy direct from the manufacturers without the logo.

The marketing appeals to semi enthusiasts, but the hard-core enthusiasts with strong technical interests tend to see through it.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I am considering a cam package for my L77. As I run it on E85 does that mean I will have no emission problems?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I am considering a cam package for my L77. As I run it on E85 does that mean I will have no emission problems?
The fact that it won’t be tested is why you won’t have emissions problems; it won’t technically be legal.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore

And if someone gave you grief about your L77 emissions, you can take comfort at how every 2nd curb crawling flog in their jacked up forby has done a DPF delete and just heads around rolling coal, spewing out more black smoke than the Industrial Revolution

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
And if someone gave you grief about your L77 emissions, you can take comfort at how every 2nd curb crawling flog in their jacked up forby has done a DPF delete and just heads around rolling coal, spewing out more black smoke than the Industrial Revolution
Some of those go into limp home mode with a DPF delete and there's no software bypass yet. They had to buy a new DPF if they gutted the old one and go to a dealer to reset the fault. I hate crew cab utes and thought it was quite funny coming undone trying to hotrod one of these useless vehicles. I don't get how these crew cab ute drivers think they're in a fast car with 130kw, they're dreaming!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
will be much easier to pass if need be, also depends on cam overlap and what proper tune adjustments they do to get around dumping raw fuel out the exhaust during that event, some understand it and some dont

grayarea

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSV
No, that's incorrect. None of the Walkinshaw packages comply with emission requirements for Holden not to consider them an aftermarket and illegal modification. It's Walkinshaw's marketing and their race team alliance misleading people to believe they're Holden approved. Upgrade packages must be published by the manufacturer as an option or accessory with the kit components in the manufacturer parts listings and Walkinshaw packages/components are not.
G,day RevNev,
I didn't mention emissions but only they were designed and engineered for the vehicle and that as far as insurance was concerned, in my case Shannon's, was not considered after market which was stated by them and the premium reflects that.
I bought the car new delivered from the dealer with with the W547 fitted and have found it to be reliable and I have not had any issue with WAPOL or even been pulled over and it is basically a daily drive, although not driven daily if you know what I mean.
That's not to say it wont happen at some stage, as far as emissions are concerned but I have sat next to many WAPOL cars at the lights and parked next to them a number of times and they haven't battered an eye lid and in fact a couple have commented on the car.
When I decided to buy one of the last built VF2 SSV's Dec 2016, I wanted reliability and the full driveline warranty, If was chasing as much power as I could get I would have got Harrop or a Mag or whatever and if I was worried about emissions or fuel economy I would have got a stock SSV.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
G,day RevNev,
I didn't mention emissions but only they were designed and engineered for the vehicle and that as far as insurance was concerned, in my case Shannon's, was not considered after market which was stated by them and the premium reflects that.
Unfortunately, ADR compliance isn't determined by insurance companies. ADR Noncompliance is the reason cars fail rego inspections and unless you can prove that a modification that'll potentially alter emissions is a manufacture option or accessory with the parts in question shown in the manufacturer parts listings for that vehicle, then it's deemed noncompliant.

The VF parts listing doesn't show a set of Walkinshaw headers and cats and therefore, it's an aftermarket noncompliant modification. HSV headers and cats are in the parts listing and therefore comply. That's the basic overview of how the system works.

I have not had any issue with WAPOL or even been pulled over
Run the car out of rego and take it over the pit and I'll bet you 20k, they'll reject it until you remove the headers and cats and refit the stock one's.

grayarea

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSV
Unfortunately, ADR compliance isn't determined by insurance companies. ADR Noncompliance is the reason cars fail rego inspections and unless you can prove that a modification that'll potentially alter emissions is a manufacture option or accessory with the parts in question shown in the manufacturer parts listings for that vehicle, then it's deemed noncompliant.

The VF parts listing doesn't show a set of Walkinshaw headers and cats and therefore, it's an aftermarket noncompliant modification. HSV headers and cats are in the parts listing and therefore comply. That's the basic overview of how the system works.

Run the car out of rego and take it over the pit and I'll bet you 20k, they'll reject it until you remove the headers and cats and refit the stock one's.
Not sure if you actually read what I wrote but I didn't say anything about emissions, being compliant, going over the pits or any other reference to what you are talking about and Rev you you may very well be right.
What's strange though is that the vehicle was not registered until after the W547 was fitted, go figure.

Sounds like you have had xxxx mods done to your vehicles and are a little bit disgruntled?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Sounds like you have had xxxx mods done to your vehicles and are a little bit disgruntled?

Knowing RevNev's background, I'd take his advice any day of the week.