Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where are the VXR owners?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Your impressions can't be right mate, its not a real commodore ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ZBs are everywhere in NZ, and it's not just the cops. I see an identical VXR to mine every day on the morning commute.

I see one regularlytoo but then he does live around the corner (but he also still has his old VY). Mostly still cop cars here in Auckland though. Saw an equinox cop car last week too, full paint with lights and sirens.

Alan H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
I've been a passenger in a mates VF2 SV6, and I'd say it's fair to say that the VXR is a replacement for that.

And I've said several times I think Holden laid the performance car spin on a bit too thick considering what had come before. As an owner I think I am qualified to state that the VXR is not a performance car, it's a grand tourer with a sport+ mode. But I like it for what it is, not what it is supposed to be.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Lol - giving him the slip wouldn't be a problem...

Saw him again this week. Parked over a bike lane with dotted yellow line...

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Very sweet handling bit of kit. There's more to performance than 0-100 times.

mugwomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Couldn't agree more. The previous car was a Volkswagen R36. It was faster than my VXR in getting to 100km/h. The car before that was a WRX. It was also faster getting to 100. The VXR is a great car to drive. It can be driven as a comfortable cruiser or hammered and its happy to do both with the tech making each mode of driving feel as if that is what it was built for.

I get the comments on "It should not wear a Commodore badge" but I was after a great driving sedan with a bucket load of comfort and safety features that will get up and boogie a bit when asked. It gives me that.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
So now that the VXR has been around for a while, and it is the only model that seems to be holding up price wise second hand. ( I am keen to swap across to a VXR from a Calais V!). Can the VXR owners tell me if there is a difference in the smoothness of the suspension in running in Normal mode as opposed to Sport or VXR mode? The VXR is the only model to have the adaptable suspension so I am thinking it would iron out the road bumps better than a Calais V but maybe I am wrong. I love the Calais V but it does not handle the road patches and cracks and bumps well, you feel them all. Both models have the same size wheels but the VXR has amazingly nice seats! I am thinking the VXR might handle them better. Just some feedback please. No one who is trying to sell you one will tell you the true story and so I need to ask the owners for their real review.

Also can the 'arificial' noise of the engine be turned off? And does the VXR have the same Bose sound suppression that is available in the Calais V?

Also on a side note. Here in Adelaide where I live the main Holden dealer is now an LDV dealer and they seem very disinterested in providing any support or warranty claims for their past sales of Commodores. They tell me every thing I point out as being not right is just 'as per factory spec'. Where are we going to be in 5 years time with these vehicles?

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
So now that the VXR has been around for a while, and it is the only model that seems to be holding up price wise second hand. ( I am keen to swap across to a VXR from a Calais V!). Can the VXR owners tell me if there is a difference in the smoothness of the suspension in running in Normal mode as opposed to Sport or VXR mode?

Absolutely. You honestly forget the car rides on 20" wheels no matter what mode you are in. About the most glowing endorsement I can give is that the wife doesn't complain when I press the VXR button.

The VXR is the only model to have the adaptable suspension so I am thinking it would iron out the road bumps better than a Calais V but maybe I am wrong. I love the Calais V but it does not handle the road patches and cracks and bumps well, you feel them all. Both models have the same size wheels but the VXR has amazingly nice seats! I am thinking the VXR might handle them better. Just some feedback please. No one who is trying to sell you one will tell you the true story and so I need to ask the owners for their real review.

My original review before I bought the car is here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-a-zb-on-the-road.274551/page-21#post-3012555

One year of ownership down the track I have come to terms with the seats. I've done several longish stints behind the wheel and have been none the worse for wear. Sure there are more comfy seats out there like the Calais V but they do the job. See my previous comment about compromising for performance sake. The only caveat I have is, make sure you can find a good price for new Michelin Pilot SuperSports because you'll need to think about replacing them around the 15000km mark. Still, a great tyre and worth the expense in my opinion.

Also can the 'arificial' noise of the engine be turned off? And does the VXR have the same Bose sound suppression that is available in the Calais V?

No you cannot turn the noise off without hacking the infotainment or pulling a fuse (if such exists). And with the exceptions of the seats, dampers and VXR mode (plus some cosmetic features) the Calais V and VXR share the same spec.